Duramax7man7

Seriously? Another one tweaked?

Duramax7man7

I take it that this is an issue if something is hit? Or am I missing an intentional design here? lol

My 19 520h lower steering shaft is tweaked...

20170501_102308.jpg

oldredrider

You got a Monday/Friday tractor. Some of them came (mistakenly) from the factory with the piece welded off center.

• Like 4

C-101plowerpower

maybe its an oval racing tractor?

• Like 4

Duramax7man7

LOL- All replies made me chuckle. This is actually the second time I've seen this. Buuut, the first time I caused it. 

Guess I'll have to grind it off and reweld then?

MalMac

oldredrider nailed it, they had a bunch of all the series come out of the factory not welded right or welded right, just off center. You would have thought that when bolted up they would have caught that. Then again someone that does not give a darn with the attitude "It's not my job to be concerned if its center or not, I am only paid to put the tie rods on." Wonder who finally caught it, probably some dealer setting up tractors for sale out of the crate.

• Like 3

Tankman
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:44 PM, oldredrider said:

You got a Monday/Friday tractor. Some of them came (mistakenly) from the factory with the piece welded off center.

Definitely the night shift!  :ROTF:

Duramax7man7

Well I couldnt stand it or let it go untouched. I cut the plate from the outer sleeve and rewelded it. Covered it with some Regal Red yesterday. Its all in today. Figured Id do while I had the engine and mounting plate off. 

20170502_181056.jpg

20170502_183345.jpg

All straight now! :)

20170502_183449.jpg

• Like 3

woodchuckfarmer

Looks good.       Wayne

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Thanks. Now I just work the tie rod sleeves loose and set the alignment.

buckrancher

I've seen this before on 520's I think with the reduction steering it's possible to twist the shaft at the thin dia ahead of the gear it would not take too much prussure

nice repair

brian

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Thanks. Yes this indeed has the reduction steering. I tweaked my 1990 520h lower steering shaft catching a fence post. Very surprising that they twist that easy. Seems the reduction steering is also more sensitive to displaying small amounts of wear compared to a normal non-reduction steering setup... I've noticed that the gear at the end of reduction shaft has a tiny bit of play in it which equates to about 1.5"-2" is steering wheel play... Might have to make some shims for the flat sides on the shaft. 

On a better note the tie rod sleeves were fairly easy to loosen up to align the steering again. So that was all done this evening lastly, before coming in.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm fairly new at welding so that's good to hear.

Edited by Mastiffman