Molon_Labe

2017 Gardens

46 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Molon_Labe said:

Anyone else started their garden this year? Post some pics of your equipment and what you're planting.

 

Started my peppers and tomatoes in the garage in a portable green house about a month ago. Ran a sub-surfacer and then tilled the garden a couple of weeks ago to turn under the shredded leaves from last fall. Last Thursday, 3/23/17 the wife and I planted 3 rows of potatoes and another 3 rows of onions (plants not sets) along with a row of radishes. The rest of the garden gets planted after the first of May.

416-8 with the tiller mounted

SAM_1201.thumb.JPG.781286f22203102bfb46fcf3d3db8166.JPG

MTD 960 pulling the sub-surfacer

SAM_1889.thumb.JPG.8aa808da4cc2e575075b144feef5776f.JPG

you are off to a good start. I am planning to do one for my daughter very soon.

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't worked ground yet, but I helped the woman start peppers and tomatoes. She didnt think to mark down what she started so now we've got around 100 pepper plants and 50 tomatoes....dunno what kind of peppers we will have but should have enough

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, grine_22 said:

Haven't worked ground yet, but I helped the woman start peppers and tomatoes. She didnt think to mark down what she started so now we've got around 100 pepper plants and 50 tomatoes....dunno what kind of peppers we will have but should have enough

Neither have I due to weather mainly but I think this week or next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Northwest ohio is still pretty soggy. Got plenty of time to dry out before I start getting excited. But I am almost finished building a pull type garden tool to help work the soil up. If the woman would just understand and let me have more welder time...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, grine_22 said:

Northwest ohio is still pretty soggy. Got plenty of time to dry out before I start getting excited. But I am almost finished building a pull type garden tool to help work the soil up. If the woman would just understand and let me have more welder time...

Tools make all the difference when it comes to working the soil, you just can't have too many. I made that attachment for the 3 point pictured above last winter. It has an angled foot on it and accepts standard 2-3/4" spaced cultivator sweeps and middle buster plows. Sure makes furrowing easy, especially deep furrows for the potatoes. Here's a pic with the middle buster attached.

MiddleBuster.thumb.jpg.3f376e3797641cebf8330aaba4c144fd.jpg

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Molon_Labe said:

Tools make all the difference when it comes to working the soil, you just can't have too many. I made that attachment for the 3 point pictured above last winter. It has an angled foot on it and accepts standard 2-3/4" spaced cultivator sweeps and middle buster plows. Sure makes furrowing easy, especially deep furrows for the potatoes. Here's a pic with the middle buster attached.

MiddleBuster.thumb.jpg.3f376e3797641cebf8330aaba4c144fd.jpg

That looks well made to me. If I had a emoticon of the guy plowing his garden, here it would be.:) 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a 310-8 so I don't have luxury of a 3 point, but I'm making something similar with a heavy duty electric actuator and frame attached to the rear axle. 

Still need to decide if I want to weld the bar with teeth on permanently, or bolt it to something so I can use the frame for other things as well...

KIMG0401.jpg

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see the soil being worked, to wet for me at the mo, first chance l get it will be shallots, onion sets then potatoes. 

And I agee if you've got the tractors get 'em to do the work.  :text-goodpost:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Adams94 said:

To wet here yet as well, hope to start working ground next couple weeks

16807477_1389179387793564_9058607517338536232_n.jpg

16831208_1389179364460233_5747468885024287936_n.jpg

Thats a heavier set of discs compared to the ones I typically see on garden tractors. Is that a category 0 hitch?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, slim67 said:

Thats a heavier set of discs compared to the ones I typically see on garden tractors. Is that a category 0 hitch?

Yes it is a brinly cat 0 disc, does and awesome job!

After discing i use this to level and pack it down, works great as well.

13267840_1143382602373245_6787846122890641444_n.jpg

13239473_1143382719039900_8355706662817109423_n.jpg

13245411_1143382579039914_4756738495498409388_n.jpg

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Adams94 said:

Yes it is a brinly cat 0 disc, does and awesome job!

After discing i use this to level and pack it down, works great as well.

13267840_1143382602373245_6787846122890641444_n.jpg

13239473_1143382719039900_8355706662817109423_n.jpg

13245411_1143382579039914_4756738495498409388_n.jpg

Is that home made? Looks good if it is. I don't recall ever seeing something quite like it.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, slim67 said:

Is that home made? Looks good if it is. I don't recall ever seeing something quite like it.

It is homeade but not by me,  It has 2 rows of spikes infront of the basket

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, slim67 said:

I like it.

You can pull it fast to and it does not pull hard, the teeth will also catch bigger rocks and drag them to the end so makes picking rocks easier

Packing the dirt with it helps keep weeds down longer than after just discing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 17   Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, Adams94 said:

You can pull it fast to and it does not pull hard, the teeth will also catch bigger rocks and drag them to the end so makes picking rocks easier

Packing the dirt with it helps keep weeds down longer than after just discing

What people can come up with is amazing.

I wanted to ad that it looks like he took expanded metal to make the drum.

Edited by slim67
Add more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slim67 said:

What people can come up with is amazing.

I wanted to ad that it looks like he took expanded metal to make the drum.

it is expanded metal! works good, i want to make a pull type rolling basket out of expanded metal to pull behind my disc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Adams94 said:

Yes it is a brinly cat 0 disc, does and awesome job!

After discing i use this to level and pack it down, works great as well.

13267840_1143382602373245_6787846122890641444_n.jpg

13239473_1143382719039900_8355706662817109423_n.jpg

13245411_1143382579039914_4756738495498409388_n.jpg

 

That's a new one on me, never seen one quite like it but it sure looks like it gets the job done. Gotta love those home made attachments.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Molon_Labe said:

 

That's a new one on me, never seen one quite like it but it sure looks like it gets the job done. Gotta love those home made attachments.

Found it in a woods! paid 25$ for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the 2 gardens at home waiting to get the goat manure worked in. Front is for veggies, back is for potatoes.  We are going to plant carrots and beets at her grandparents since they don't use their gardens anymore

KIMG0402.jpg

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, grine_22 said:

Here's the 2 gardens at home waiting to get the goat manure worked in. Front is for veggies, back is for potatoes.  We are going to plant carrots and beets at her grandparents since they don't use their gardens anymore

KIMG0402.jpg

Yeah if this Ohio weather would cooperate.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few days of sun and drying winds and l've got my Broad beans and onions in, today the plough came out and I started getting ready for potatoes.....finally!

 

IMG_1239.thumb.JPG.78cad5a9007e61d1af7efd0041135ee7.JPG

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2017 at 11:07 PM, Molon_Labe said:

Anyone else started their garden this year? Post some pics of your equipment and what you're planting.


 

 

Haven't started the garden yet but my pepper seedlings sprouted last  week ! 

Growing Hatch Green Chile & New Mexico Joe E. Parker Hot Peppers :banana-rock: 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peas, asparagus, and horseradish up and doing well. Still to wet to till though. Maybe next week!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.