aHorseofCourse

Small snowblower mod

WHX??
16 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

three times worse than steel chains

I would have thought otherwise, thanks for your insight,  would take a the rougher ride than a butt chewing from  the missus anyday!:bitch:

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor
6 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The rubber tire chains, in my opinion, ride about three times worse than steel chains.  Steel chains can flex the tire tread a bit but the large rubber straps cannot.

The rubber chains I have seen, including the pair I own, are essentially like four-link steel chains. That is part of the reason that they ride rough. Additionally if they would double up the rubber straps they would probably cost twice as much. They are already about 50% more than steel chains. Like Ed pointed out with the way they bite, they might also be less effective being closer together and may not be able to "twist." 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
22 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

they might also be less effective being closer together and may not be able to "twist." 

Yes, I also believe this would be the case John.  

I may buy another set of straps and double up the straps on my 4 link rubbers and see if they are less effective.  

If they are, I'll remove them and make another 4 link set.  I have plenty of side chains.     

The really big advantage I see in the rubber straps is the traction on a recently plowed driveway.   With the steel chains, I could not get up my steep driveway with the plow or blower raised.

I had to detour around to the stone road to get to the top and then plow down.   With the rubbers, I can plow doth directions.   Steel chains just do not grip on a hard smooth surface , they need to penetrate the surface to get a bite.     The  rubber straps are probably not as good as steel 2 link VEE bar chains on gravel roads and ice, but they are a close second.

The prices I see are $110 - $130 for new rubbers.     I think it really comes down to preventing the damage to the paved driveway.     

• Like 4

wallfish
9 hours ago, WHX9 said:

I would have thought otherwise, thanks for your insight,  would take a the rougher ride than a butt chewing from  the missus anyday!:bitch:

Don't you guys get more scratches from the scraper of the blower or plow more than the tire chains? At least that's my experience.

If the wife ever gives me grief about some scratches on the driveway, I'd hand her a shovel.

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

The only time my plow or blower leaves marks is when  I drop a wheel off the edge.  Then I get a scrape when the blade  twists.

The marks I get are when the chains spin If I have to back up when working thru a deep drift on my steep driveway or busting thru the hard stuff plowed in by the state.    I might add, I clear 4-6 paved driveways for neighbors and I am extra careful to not damage anything on their property.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

Sarge

To me , scrapes and scratches are just part of life and that seal coat is just a window dressing that is part of maintenance on a driveway - just like the highways I work on every year . I'd try designing those tire chains with some angled sections riveted together with small steel plates or even a center wrapping around the diameter of the tire - think of the Euro style chain patterns that are more of an X instead of bars...

It would take some effort to make them , but heavy 1/4"-1/2" rubber strips are easy enough to source .

If you do handle a woman a shovel after a comment about aesthetics on her "pretty driveway" - may I suggest a helmet first ?? Females are highly known to use any object as a weapon when challenged by men , just saying .

Sarge

• Like 2

WHX??
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

I'd hand her a shovel.

I did 'fish, had to duck real quick when it came back at me &

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Females are highly known to use any object as a weapon

as she mumbled something about the $ I spend on tractors!

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

seal coat is just a window dressing that is part of maintenance on a driveway

She didn't quite get that true statement

• Like 2

Sarge

LOL !!

I can picture a nicely edged drag with inward angled end blades to smear out a seal coat on a drive -- pour the stuff out , back the horse up to the puddle and drive forward...a few passes and you'd be done . Gives yet another reason to add another Horse...or get a divorce .

Sarge

• Like 5

aHorseofCourse

Happy wife, happy life. :D. I think I might try a set of rubber for next winter.  I snowblow off road too so I hope they will be effective in grass as well.  Every time I get stuck in the yard there are lots of choice words yelled.  The driveway does look ruff after that storm and it's definitely the chains not the blower.  The silver lining here is I can justify buying more parts for the horse!

• Like 3

HorseFixer

Nice Mod on the cable roller Mod thingy! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

lynnmor
10 hours ago, Sarge said:

To me , scrapes and scratches are just part of life and that seal coat is just a window dressing that is part of maintenance on a driveway - just like the highways I work on every year . I'd try designing those tire chains with some angled sections riveted together with small steel plates or even a center wrapping around the diameter of the tire - think of the Euro style chain patterns that are more of an X instead of bars...

It would take some effort to make them , but heavy 1/4"-1/2" rubber strips are easy enough to source .

Sarge

The next time you are looking at highways and parking lots, just look at the cracks all around where the lines are painted.  Yes, you have to see the cracks to believe it.  I pointed it out to my driveway contractor and even he didn't know about the problem.  Now tell me what good is a coating other than looking pretty..... from a distance..... for a little while. 

If one could devise some rubber support between the rubber straps, the bumping should be much reduced.

I need to add that the rubber tire chains rode good enough with the original 2 ply rounded tires.  When I went to 4 ply tires, with a much sharper corner, the ride was nasty.  I am now inflating the tires to a maximum of 10 psi and that really isn't enough to properly round out the stiff tires, but at least the cab might survive.

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse
34 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The next time you are looking at highways and parking lots, just look at the cracks all around where the lines are painted.  Yes, you have to see the cracks to believe it.  I pointed it out to my driveway contractor and even he didn't know about the problem.  Now tell me what good is a coating other than looking pretty..... from a distance..... for a little while. 

If one could devise some rubber support between the rubber straps, the bumping should be much reduced.

I need to add that the rubber tire chains rode good enough with the original 2 ply rounded tires.  When I went to 4 ply tires, with a much sharper corner, the ride was nasty.  I am now inflating the tires to a maximum of 10 psi and that really isn't enough to properly round out the stiff tires, but at least the cab might survive.

It's just like a coat of paint on the house, only on the driveway and more expensive!  The guy that did mine said it soaks in and keeps the asphalt flexible so it doesn't crack.  I don't know if it does as there are cracks all over and the previous owner of our house said he had it sealed regularly.  Back to the chains, I can't believe those rubber ones would ride that rough.  I mean I believe you I just never would have thought that.  Let me know if you come up with a 2 link setup for them.

• Like 1

oldredrider

I have rubber chains on my GT-14. Been using them for several years now. I have loaded rear tires (100# each) plus have wheel weights (130# total). The ride is MUCH smoother than the chains I previously had on the tractor. Traction is equal to the metal chains I used to run.. and no  driveway marking from spinning wheels. 

Just my .02 from my experience. 

Edited by oldredrider
  • Like 2

lynnmor
13 hours ago, oldredrider said:

I have rubber chains on my GT-14. Been using them for several years now. I have loaded rear tires (100# each) plus have wheel weights (130# total). The ride is MUCH smoother than the chains I previously had on the tractor. Traction is equal to the metal chains I used to run.. and no  driveway marking from spinning wheels. 

Just my .02 from my experience. 

I think that it is very much dependent on the tires, weight and air pressure.  I only have wheel weights and no added weight.  I'm sure that having considerable weight would flex the tires and smooth the ride.

oldredrider

My comparison is apples to apples. Same tractor and weight. 

Also, haven't noticed any appreciable wear in the rubber chains.

Can you tell I'm a fan?!!!