Briian72

855 sparks at ignition switch

Briian72

I have rewired my 855 followed the wiring diagram . I put a new cole hersey switch in. when I go to crank it on I'm getting spark from switch? Not sure what is going wrong any thoughts. Thanks in advanced

IMG_2975.JPG

Edited by Briian72
add photo

953 nut

:WRS:     Are the  "B: and "S" terminals on the new switch heavy duty like the original switch? The 855 switch is rated at 70 amps and there is one like it that is only rated at 20 amps.

Briian72

I added pic in original post oem part number 95521-b. Thanks in advanced

• Like 1

rmaynard

Is the spark coming from the switch or from the connectors on your wires? Since the starter draws a lot of amps, a poor crimp could be the source of your spark.

• Like 2

Briian72

Yes the spark is coming from the connectors. I will check all my wires tomorrow. Thank you all for your replies

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Your steering shaft is going to wear the insulation off the red wire up against it.

Garry

• Like 3

953 nut
2 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Your steering shaft is going to wear the insulation off the red wire up against it.

Garry

Good catch Garry.

I would solder the wire connectors and tape them up so they don't have the opportunity to short to the switch body in the future.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The wires look to be too light unless a starter solenoid has been added.

Believe they are typically 6 gauge from the battery and to the starter.

Garry

• Like 1

rmaynard

Good call Garry. The heaviest of the red wires there appears to be only 14 gauge. The black one at the bottom may be okay. 

As the picture below shows, the terminal at the bottom (B) should connect to the battery (+) terminal with at least an 8 gauge wire.

The top terminal (S) should also have a minimum 8 gauge wire connecting to the starter. It also has a smaller gauge wire that connects to the generator light.

The (I) terminal can use 16 or 14 gauge to connect to coil and the other side of the generator light.

switch.JPG.22cd52a5c8fa2cf0c34a2f46361fce57.JPG855.jpg.adb42dc20451ed791cfd57b51f3a410e.jpg

• Like 1