Briian72

Need Help finding engine drain plug for 855

Briian72

I am not sure if I am seeing  the drain plug for my kohler 181S. In the rear of engine where plug (part number 94)  there is an elbow that has a pipe that ends behind break pedal but has a round cap? If this is drain plug what is the best way to remove? In my manual it mentions to remove oil filler plug , located at the rear left side of transmission? Im a little confused and now not sure if I use same 30 wt oil in trans and engine.

rmaynard

Sounds like you are confusing the engine and the transmission. The engine usually has a short nipple with an elbow and a longer nipple with a cap that extends to outside of the frame, making it is easier to drain the oil. Just remove the cap and drain. Removing the oil filler plug, which should have the dipstick attached, will aid in draining the oil faster. Replace with the proper amount of straight 30W oil. The transmission drain is a plug in the bottom of the transmission, toward the rear and just left of the tang of the hitch that rest against the bottom of the transmission. It is usually covered with oil and dirt and hard to see. It is flush with the bottom and requires a 1/4" Allen wrench to remove it. Clean all dirt and debris from the inside of the plug before attempting to insert the  Allen.

:WRS:

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

The cap over the drain for the engine is item # 131 in both these manuals.

Listed as 3/8" pipe which has a tapered thread. All that means is that the threads on the end of the pipe have a smaller diameter than the threads farther in. Pipe threads don't seal well so the application of a thread sealer will eliminate any drips. Because the threads are tapered they don't need to be real tight. As soon as the cap starts to come off it will get lose real quick.

Garry

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Briian72 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

W9JAB

Use gear lube in the transmission

stevasaurus

If you have a manual transmission, the manual calls for 90wt.  Welcome to Red Square  :)

rmaynard

And if you have trouble finding 90w oil, any 80/90w, 80w, 140-85w, transmission oil will work fine. Walmart's store brand is my choice.