ClassicTractorProfessor

414-8 approximate value

ClassicTractorProfessor

Found an 85 model 414-8 while doing my daily CL search today. Guy says it runs good and comes with a 44"??? (Thought they were either 42" or 48") deck. Asking 500. What's a reasonable price to pay for this tractor, haven't yet had any experience with these newer horses

• Like 2

953 nut

414-8 would be about the same as a C-140 (except you would only be able to get a C-120 or C-160 I think) Condition would be the key thing and they are gaining some favor with collectors. Worth looking at considering the starting price.

• Like 1

cleat

likely a 42" deck. I believe they measure out to 44".

Cleat

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

That's what I figured... And overall looking at pictures it looks in good shape, he says it starts and runs good...just sold a truck and have a little money to spend so may make a road trip next day or so

JAinVA

Bryce,

You should find a 42" deck and most likely a K series Kohler engine.If all works and is clean for the price it seems a reasonable starting point.I don't know much about WHs before the c120 but in that time to the latest  things that were done was to improve owner safety.Therefore you will have to deal with a number of safety interlocks such as pto interlocks.These improvements are not a bad thing but something else to deal with.Just check the wiring for hacking.JMHO,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Jim it's a Magnum 14 on it. And I'm sure it probably is a 42" deck. Here's a picture of it

00Z0Z_3xCMxkMkR2R_1200x900.jpg

• Like 4

JAinVA

Bryce,

My bad that is an m14 by the looks of it Still a great cast iron Kohler.Looks pretty straight.In my market if it ran good with no issues and a good deck it seems like a fair price.JMHO.I would lift the hood and check for any wiring hacks.Not a show stopper but it can take some time to sort out.This should have the 1 1/8" axle transaxle.They are tough.I cut my teeth on a c120 30 years ago and they are great machines.This model in my mind is a great successor to that generation.I am not saying jump on it but I would definitely look at it.

As an aside I am glad you seem to have survived the ice storm.They are bad things.I have to ask,that red F350 you have,what year?Luck,JAinVa

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Yes we survived the ice storm...been super busy with the cleanup afterwards. I think if I can convince the wife to make a road trip we may go down in a day or two and at least look at it. Not very often that they come up for sale in my area so when I do find one I tend to get excited about it lol

JAinVA

Bryce

Glad you and yours are OK.The clean up is a struggle.I have been there and that is why I was so concerned when you guys were looking at an ice storm .I hope you find something you can be happy with.Luck,JAinVA

Ken B

If it runs good and doesn't smoke or make funny noises its worth 500 all day long... You can try to get it for less but the seller is in the ball park with what he is asking. 414's make a great worker.

953 nut
8 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

Here's a picture of it

Looks used but not abused;     even has a nice seat!

Tankman

Looks very nice. Go for it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

T-Mo

Bryce,

It can't be a 1985 model as there wasn't any 414-8 in 1985.  First one was in 1986 with a Kohler K321 in it.  The M14 Kohler first appeared in the 414-8 in 1987 and was made until 1989, the last year for the 414-8.  That one does appear to be in good shape with a nice seat.

• Like 1

oldlineman

I have a 1989 414-8 with a M 14 engine. It is a great tractor, if the mower hight adjustment is on the right side 42" if on the left a 48", I run a 42" side but just got a NOS in box 48" that will go on it this year, can't wait for that. 

• Like 1

can whlvr

I have 2 414,id pay 500 for that tractor all day long,and like tmo stated,its probally a 87,does it have grease zerks on the pedals,if not its an 87,the new 414,s had zerks on the pedals,my 89 has them,the 87 doesnt

• Like 1

jackhammer

My guess is that you have already went after it..    Good luck if you did

Edited by jackhammer
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
3 minutes ago, jackhammer said:

My guess is that you have already went after it..    Good luck if you did

No haven't went after it. As much as I would like to really need to replace the truck we just sold first, then maybe buy toys later :)

jackhammer

Quite understandable

ClassicTractorProfessor

I would've bought the tractor myself but the wife shut me down. Told her I could drive the old feed pickup but she didn't like that idea, so I guess we're gonna go truck shopping instead of tractor shopping 

richmondred01

It's worth it. M14 is a strong engine. If no knocks and no smoke I would get it. 

123GO

Very old post but fwiw one can measure each blades length then total them up for actual deck size. 

Example: 3×12" blades = 36" deck.

3×14"= 42" deck

3×16"= 48 etc...

I have one side discharge WH deck that has two 12" outer blades and one 14" at front center  making it a 38" deck. Pretty common deck size for Wheel Horse I believe? The 38" look like 44" deck because they have such large chutes, some chutes were welded on. My 38" does an outstanding job mowing, better than my 44" but small for my yard. 

I hope to find a bigger deck someday. Not easy done in my area.

I have a 1988 414-8.

Id never dream of taking $500 for mine, fantastic tractors.

The Tuul Crib

Buy it!!!  :banana-dance:

love my 414-8 Great power !🗜:wh:

E526F8C0-994F-4134-9099-118B0C747907.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175
12 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Buy it!!!

Probly long gone by now... but yours looks GREAT! :thumbs:

123GO

I love mine too, I use it more than my others.

Resized_20200411_185718.jpeg

20200411_185553.jpg

• Like 1

123GO
24 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Buy it!!!  :banana-dance:

love my 414-8 Great power !🗜:wh:

E526F8C0-994F-4134-9099-118B0C747907.jpeg

What year is your 414-8?

Mine is 1988 fwiw...