Rustyred

REAR AXLE SLIDING SIDE TO SIDE OK?

Rustyred

Hi folks,

My sons and I are making good progress taking apart our 1979 C-81 for restoration.

In so doing we have noticed that the rear axle has a about 3/4 of an inch of slop in it - side to side. 

Is this normal? How much is permissible? If it is not normal, what could be the problem and what is involved in fixing it?

With thanks to all who help us out!

Rustyred and sons.

pfrederi

When you say side to side do you mean pulling out or pushing in on the end of the axle??  Some end play like that is acceptable about 1/8th inch.  3/4 is too much.  Is it the same on both sides of the tractor??

• Like 2

scotty

Yeah i agree 3/4'' sounds like way to much. Maybe the snap rings came off the end of the axles?

• Like 1

can whlvr

if the snap ring is off wouldn't the axle pull out?

Adam

it depends on if there is any rust or burrs that could be preventing it from being pulled out all the way I had that problem when mine snap rings came off, but it was way more then 3/4" 

• Like 1

rmaynard

Here is an image of the parts inside the differential. The snap rings are labeled "72", and the red arrows indicate where they are placed inside the assembly. They keep the axle from pulling out (in the direction of the blue arrow) by being placed on the inside of gear 70. If you are getting 3/4" movement (in the direction of the blue arrow) without the axle pulling completely out, I think that you've got more going on than just snap rings.

c-rings2.jpg

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

pfrederi

For years WH used roll pins to secure the axles.. then changed to snap rings.  Roll pins seem to me to be more secure...never had one of those fail but have had some snap ring issues.

Agree if there is a bur from teh snap ring wearing the axle it may take a lot of effort to pull it out all teh way.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

Rustyred

Thank you to all for the responses.

Pfrederi asked if the end play is the same on "both sides of the tractor." I went and checked and the answer is: No. (I had only measured the one side.) 

Whether the 3/4" movement is due to a snap ring inside I guess we'll see when we take it apart. Some folks thought it may be off and burr and rust are holding it in. I don't have the answer yet but will check on that. So all the help was appreciated.

So a second question then: The other side only has 1/4" of end play. Someone stated 1/8" is fine. What do you say about 1/4"? Is that also fine or is there something wrong?

Again thanks - this help is appreciated.

Rustyred

Sarge

Anything over about 1/8" is a problem....tear into it .

Sarge

• Like 1

Rustyred

Thank you to all for the responses.

Pfrederi asked if the end play is the same on "both sides of the tractor." I went and checked and the answer is: No. (I had only measured the one side.) 

Whether the 3/4" movement is due to a snap ring inside I guess we'll see when we take it apart. Some folks thought it may be off and burr and rust are holding it in. I don't have the answer yet but will check on that. So all the help was appreciated.

So a second question then: The other side only has 1/4" of end play. Someone stated 1/8" is fine. What do you say about 1/4"? Is that also fine or is there something wrong?

Again thanks - this help is appreciated.

Rustyred

lynnmor

I am starting to wonder if he has a loose hub and it is moving in and out on the axle.  I would think that a movement of 3/4" would drop the gear and keep coming out.

• Like 5

stevasaurus

It is possible that he is not pulling hard enough on the axle to pull it out...but if one axle is out a little, the other one can move in a little farther and give the impression that both are messed up.  The 2 axles butt into each other in the differential and the snap ring keeps the axles from pulling out...that is your 1/8" of play.  Pull one axle out 3/4" and the other one has nothing to butt into anymore and will have a little more slop.  Either way, you have to open the trans to fix it. :)

Drain the trans, remove the shifter, take the trans off the horse and place the input shaft side "down"...brake shaft side "up".  Open the case and lift off the deeper side...you can now pull out the differential.  There is no need to take out any gears, unless you want to clean out the trans.  Notice that you are looking at the nuts on the bolts that hold the differential together...you want to be looking at the nuts again when you put the differential back into the trans case.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Check for lose hubs first...like was said above.  :think:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 7

obone

I vote for the hub moving. That's what have to fix next on mine. The PO always mowed with the tractor going in a circle the same way for over 30 years. It's easier to find out that the hub moved first then to break the transmission down to find out it was your hub. Good luck.

• Like 1

Rustyred

Thanks everyone. I've determined it's not hub movement. I'm heading into the transmission to check it out as described by Stevasaurus above.

Thanks again!

• Like 1