Bigtuna

How to test/check transmission w/o engine running.

Bigtuna

Just recently picked up a c-120 8speed from a man who had it parked in a barn for 13 years. It turned over, good compression, had spark etc, but I haven't had it running for more than a few squirts of carb cleaner.  I don't want to run the engine until I've had  chance to replace fuel lines and change the oil.  My real question is; what should I look/feel for to know if the transmission is in good shape while it's not running??  I've noticed that it's hard to shift between gears (clutch depressed, engine off)  New to wheelhorse but I couldn't pass on what I thought was a great looking 150$ garden tractor :)  thanks &merry Christmas! 

• Like 1

pfrederi

First drain the trans fluid.  Jack up the front of the tractor so it drains completely.. Drain plug is 1/4" allen on the bottom of the case just ot he left of the hitch arm that goes under the case.

If you get water or something like chocolate milk it will need some attention.  if it looks like gear oil you probably will have no tranny issues the are tough units

One reason they are tough is straight cut gears  That also makes then hard to shift when not running

• Like 6

Ed Kennell

Well, first things first Bigtuna.... :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:and congrats on a great deal on the C-120.    The C-120 is still my favorite tractor

Follow Pauls advice on the tranny checks. 

While you are changing fuel lines, remove the tank and clean or replace the valve and screen and grommet.  Clean the tank and check it for varnished fuel.

Oh, the most important item...:wwp:

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

oliver2-44

First off, :text-welcomeconfetti:  You've found the best, friendliest place in the world for these red tractors. 

Second off, :wwp:  

As pfrederi noted, change the transmission oil and see what comes out. you may also want to fill it with diesel or kerosene, let it soak a day and then drain it back out. As noted jack up the front of the tractor to drain the transmission throughly (there is a hump in the middle of the bottom of the transmission. 

I had a transmission that the oil was a gray soup. so I filled it with diesel and with it on blocks ran the engine and let run in each gear for a while (15 minutes) then drained and refilled it.

check that the rubber boot at the bottom of the gear shift is in good condition, if cracked, replace it as this is where water gets in the transmission. 

While you have the tractor jacked up check that the rear wheel hubs are tight on the axle, they can loosen and waller the key way out. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 5

KC9KAS

@Bigtuna :text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

jay bee

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Jim

953 nut

:WRS:    Raise up on the rubber boot that covers the shift lever and at the front you will see a threaded stet screw with a lock nut on it. This is called a "Dogpoint" screw and it holds the shift lever in place. Back off on the lock nut and adjust the dogpoint to see if that corrects the problem. If you do a search on this site for dogpoint you will find lots of photos and discussion on it.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Bigtuna

Thanks for the spot on answers to my questions!  I'm sure I'll have loads more in the near future and sounds like the best place to get the knowledge I need.  Pictures coming as soon as I'm back in my shop after the holiday season!

• Like 1

hermitman

Welcome,,, you'll not find a better place for info and advice. Trust me !!! Still learning at 63 :bitch:

• Like 1