mikeeyre74

How to: Cleaning for a restoration?

mikeeyre74

So I just got a new tractor, new to me anyway. It is covered with 39 years of grease and grime.  Some spots it's half an inch thick… What do you guys find to be the most effective way to clean a new tractor of all the built up gross stuff so you can begin a restoration? 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Jerry77

Elbow grease....doesn't cause damage like pressure wash - been there/done that...:(

• Like 2

r356c

Disposable nitrile gloves, a roll or two of paper towels, Simple Green, diesel fuel, a toothbrush and a few evenings. :)

• Like 5

mikeeyre74

Sounds like work! :D

953 nut
43 minutes ago, mikeeyre74 said:

Sounds like work! :D

Yes, but it works!

Coadster32
9 hours ago, r356c said:

Disposable nitrile gloves, a roll or two of paper towels, Simple Green, diesel fuel, a toothbrush and a few evenings. :)

Don't forget the beverage of choice!!

The best part about 39 years of grease and grime, is normally underneath it all, is a well preserved unrusted unit. Good luck with it.

• Like 4

stevasaurus

I just took my 857 to the car wash...the one where you get to use the spray wands....turn on the soap and about $2.50 in quarters.  I stayed away from the dash and other electronics, but it did a nice job on the engine block, frame and transmission.  It gets rid of most of it and makes what you have left more manageable.  :)

• Like 2

WheelHorseNut
12 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I just took my 857 to the car wash...the one where you get to use the spray wands....turn on the soap and about $2.50 in quarters.  I stayed away from the dash and other electronics, but it did a nice job on the engine block, frame and transmission.  It gets rid of most of it and makes what you have left more manageable.  :)

You may have to do that under the cover of darkness... lol  They may not like it too much...

I brought a bell housing and T5 trans (rear main seal was bad and is slung oil all over the bell housing and trans for years)  to one of those once, sprayed it with engine degreaser, scrubbed it a bit and hosed it down and they came by and told me not to do that again.  Works great, though...

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I wondered about that myself.  The guy was there and he just waved and said Hi.  Maybe the trick is to look like you belong there and have done it many times.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

Pullstart

I've done 350 blocks at the car wash, that's the best thing about a two-door Olds Delta 88 with the 5.7 Diesel... you can fit small blocks and all kinds of stuff in the trunk!

• Like 1

WheelHorseNut
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

I wondered about that myself.  The guy was there and he just waved and said Hi.  Maybe the trick is to look like you belong there and have done it many times.  :occasion-xmas:

Hah!  Yeah, the guy wasn't thrilled about the grease and oil going down the drain.  It's possible he was the owner... Rank and file might not care too much.

7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I've done 350 blocks at the car wash, that's the best thing about a two-door Olds Delta 88 with the 5.7 Diesel... you can fit small blocks and all kinds of stuff in the trunk!

That is a big ride!  I used to drive a Pontiac 5000 LE or The General LE, as I used to call it.  Not nearly as big but I drove around with one of those red engine hoists in the trunk for a year because I was too lazy to take it out... and it fit so nicely in there...  Together, we could've been a great team!  I'll cherry pick the block out for ya with my cherry picker! :ROTF:

• Like 2

dirtnap

Definitely stay away from steam cleaners, they'll force moisture into every little space.  Then, if you wait to start your tear down, you'll find rust in places you really don't want.  3K psi sprayers work pretty well with simple green but good old fashioned elbow grease and a toothbrush works best.

Edited by dirtnap

Wishin4a416

I use a low pressure electric power washer and any degreaser.

smoreau

Best degreaser I have found is any light mineral oil, WD-40, PB Blaster, any auto trand fluid, diesel will work and a scrub brush. It will soften up the greasy mess to the point that a garden hose wimm be as good as a power washer.  If you ever had really dirty greasy hands and remember how hard it was to get it all off, tried every hand cleaner on the market with poor results. One day I sprayed some WD-40 on my hands and then washed them with just regular bar soap and my hands were very clean!  That's what lead me to using light oils for degreaser from now on. It will make a mess were you do this and can cause a hole new thing to clean if your not carefull. I use a old drop cloth and hang it up to dry when done. 

Edited by smoreau
  • Like 3

DennisThornton

Mike, I don't think the concerns here about pressure washing apply to your stage of the game with your tear down already to the frame.  Without a pressure blaster I'd putty knife off the worst and head to the car wash!  Otherwise as suggested some kero or mineral spirits and scrub.  Perhaps a spray bottle and some soaking will cut down on the scrubbing part.  It's still nice to power wash the remaining residue if you expect paint to stick.  Don't forget to share pictures here!

RandyLittrell

I have found easy off oven cleaner and a trip to the car wash to work really well. 

Randy

Pullstart
20 hours ago, WheelHorseNut said:

That is a big ride!  I used to drive a Pontiac 5000 LE or The General LE, as I used to call it.  Not nearly as big but I drove around with one of those red engine hoists in the trunk for a year because I was too lazy to take it out... and it fit so nicely in there...  Together, we could've been a great team!  I'll cherry pick the block out for ya with my cherry picker! :ROTF:

I've had a dana 60 axle in that trunk, my cherry picker as well (got it as a floor model at a tool warehouse and hauled it home assembled!)  why I got rid of that car, who knows...  maybe it was too fast for me.  my fastest 1/4 mile speed ever was 45 mph.

• Like 1

WheelHorseNut
13 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I have found easy off oven cleaner and a trip to the car wash to work really well. 

Randy

That does work -- just be careful if you have paint you like or bare aluminum.  It may damage the paint and you won't like the effect on the aluminum -- it oxidizes and gives you a white coating.  It'll take anodizing off, though.

I used to use it on engine blocks back in the 90's.  It would tend to get to the loose paint nicely but most of it would remain.

• Like 1

Razkid

The original blue Dawn dish washing soap is great for cutting through grease on parts and after working in the garage, I use it to wash my hands. It works better then a lot of hand cleaners I have tried.

DennisThornton

Oven cleaner AND several heavy duty grease cutting liquids/sprays work because they contain lots of caustic lye.  Great for cutting grease, stripping paint and eating up aluminum and skin!  Just use it with some caution and especially don't soak aluminum.  It won't blow up if it touches aluminum but it will almost instantly dull it and it will eventually dissolve it!  Same with skin, just rinse quickly.

• Like 1

Captaindemo

I Had found a product called LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner at Dollar General . The big jug of it was only like 3 bucks and this stuff dissolves grease like no other. I ended up finding out about it on youtube. Seems safe on everything I have used it on so far. Best thing about it is its CHEAP ! Hope this helps