wera512

GT 14 starting problem

wera512

Converted ignition to coil and points and engine ran well.I left it out overnight and the next day it was hard to start.It began running rough.I turned the high speed needle in until it smoothed out and put in my shop.Now it will not start at all.I have a good spark at the plug.

Took cover off and keyway is not sheared off.Tried starter fluid and it will not even pop or sputter.

Could the compression release be hanging up or possiby stuck?

I had very slight oil spot showing between head and cylinder so I replaced the head gasket.Still no luck.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,Tom

gwest_ca

Got another good spark plug you can try? I always keep a spare new one for times like this. Try it and if it works leave it there. If it still doesn't run I remove the new plug and save it for the next time.

Weak plugs will fire out of the head but can fail under compression.

Garry

• Like 2

pfrederi
29 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Got another good spark plug you can try? I always keep a spare new one for times like this. Try it and if it works leave it there. If it still doesn't run I remove the new plug and save it for the next time.

Garry

Especially in my experience Champions

Are the points opening and closing?

Edited by pfrederi

ztnoo
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

Fascinating! I did not know that......

Thanks for the heads up about that Garry!

wera512

Garry hit this one on the head.Often heard of plugs not firing under compression,but never experienced it before.Screwed in a new plug and it fired up.Now I need to adjust the carb and hopefully be ready to go.

Thanks again Garry.

Tom

• Like 1

pfrederi

What brand of plug were you using at first????

gwest_ca

Years ago most service stations/garages had a Champion cabinet on the wall. There was an electrical cord to power a coil and an air line to a regulator that added air pressure to a cylinder the plug was threaded into. The air line also supplied an on-board sand blaster to clean the plug. To test the plug one threaded it into the cylinder that has a glass window and a mirror. Push a button and the coil would fire the plug which you could watch in the window and mirror. Then you cranked up the air pressure to see if the plug would fire under pressure. A used plug would eventually quit firing but forget what pressure was considered acceptable. The air gauge also had the poor, fair and good band on it's face.

Garry

• Like 1

wera512

It had a Bosch plug,but I think it was the wrong plug.It did run with it when I bought it.

pfrederi
14 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Years ago most service stations/garages had a Champion cabinet on the wall. There was an electrical cord to power a coil and an air line to a regulator that added air pressure to a cylinder the plug was threaded into. The air line also supplied an on-board sand blaster to clean the plug. To test the plug one threaded it into the cylinder that has a glass window and a mirror. Push a button and the coil would fire the plug which you could watch in the window and mirror. Then you cranked up the air pressure to see if the plug would fire under pressure. A used plug would eventually quit firing but forget what pressure was considered acceptable. The air gauge also had the poor, fair and good band on it's face.

Garry

You can buy the home version today...:P

IMG_0006.JPG

ztnoo

Paul,

Please tell us more about this test device!

I assume perhaps you have one???

I'm glued to the screen waiting.

munch.gif