Detector

PTO Bell 312-H

Detector

Still learning about my  312-H during the restoration. I painted my clutch bell yesterday, the needle bearings looked good and added a smear of high temp grease prior to installing today, with the PTO disengaged I noticed the bell turns with the crank while the engine is running, I have no attachments on the bell. When the deck was installed I recall it being stationary until I engaged the PTO. It spins free by hand with no binding. It's not making contact with the friction disc, I'm thinking centrifugal force if that's the term I'm looking for causing it to spin. I  have the hoop installed but not the brake, got one on the way due to wear. I'm just doing some test running & aware the brake also acts as a safeguard to keep the bell from coming off. I read the gap should be .012" by the book or use a business card with the PTO engaged, does the brake keep the bell stationary with the engine running or does it just slow the bell to stop say a deck quicker when the PTO is disengaged?

Edited by Detector

wallfish

The brake will slow it down but all of mine will turn if nothing is attached. It will stop when you attach the deck

• Like 5

Detector

Thanks