PeacemakerJack

Grizzly--a Cub Cadet "167"

T-Mo

I had a few Cub Cadets a few years back.  Mostly narrow frames, and mostly 104s.  I had a couple of 122s, a 123, a 125, a 1250, and a couple of newer 2135s.  I had four 104s, if I remember correctly, all at one time.  I wouldn't mind getting a 100, but I'm not actively pursuing one.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

The CC 100 is widely considered to be one of the favorite Cubs of all time. They were "raw" old school tractors but they are sharp looking for sure!

Terry M

Nothing wrong with that Tractor....Looks like it could easily dig a few furrows in the dirt..:)

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

That is a nice old piece of Iron! Always liked that hood style.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

I've been partial to that good design too!  I can't wait to see how this thing will plow...

After removing the manual lift, we cut away the necessary material to install the flow control valve...

image.jpeg

This area seemed like it was made to it put the valve in.

image.jpeg

Then my uncle Roger began to fabricate a bracket/cover for the valve...

image.jpeg

Here he is holding the intial mockup in place while his son Russell looks on.  It is made out of 3/16" angle iron welded edge to edge.  

image.jpeg

Meanwhile, my son Caleb removed the factory reflectors in favor for a set of aftermarket LED tail lights.  Then he went outside and sprayed the floor boards with truck bed liner.  Using this tractor for a plow tractor, it will be lots of on and off with muddy boots.  Hopefully this will be a durable alternative to paint.

image.jpeg

Once Roger had finished the bracket, I primed it with high build primer, sanded it smooth, Coated it again, and then painted it Cub yellow. With the lift Rod in place, it

nearly looks factory.

image.jpeg

Next up: hydraulic plumbing, tail lights, switch, decals, and rear hitch!  Still a lot of work before next Thursday and Bluniers Plow Day!

• Like 1

Ken B
17 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

The CC 100 is widely considered to be one of the favorite Cubs of all time. They were "raw" old school tractors but they are sharp looking for sure!

Very nice 107!

Here is a Cub Cadet 100 I spent a solid yr. restoring. I rebuilt every component on this tractor including the engine, it truly was like new when done. It had all the bells and whistles on it other than hydraulic lift. I sold this tractor 14 yrs. ago, this is one tractor I wish I still had. I saw my old 100 at a show last yr. The guy I sold it to saw me and we talked for a while.  It still looks and runs awesome. 

ScannedImage-7-2.jpg

ScannedImage-9-2.jpg

• Like 4

PeacemakerJack

Ken--what a beautiful machine! You really did an amazing job!:handgestures-thumbupright:

Do you mind if I ask who the kid is in the second pic?

JC 1965

WOW  !!    Great lookin tractor. Thanks for sharing.       :thumbs2:

PeacemakerJack

While we were working on Grizzly, I started the engine one time and Roger noticed that the front end of the driveshaft had an excessive amount of play where it attaches to the engine flywheel. I looked it over and noticed that the bushing had come apart that keeps the driveshaft centered.  I ordered a new "rag joint" donut and a new bushing/plate.  When it arrived, I made an interesting observation, it was made in the closest large town to me, Oshkosh.

image.jpeg

I thought that was pretty cool. Now I'm gonna have to do some research on this "Triangle Mfg"!

image.jpeg

Notice the extreme wear on the upper donut.  It was taking 90% of the torque since the center bushing had fallen out of the bracket plate.  Once I have hydraulic system put back together, I'll test it.  I'm guessing it should really reduce the felt vibration. 

image.jpeg

Next up was a couple of new switches.  The grey knob on the left of the amp gauge is a vintage INDEK light switch that was used on IH tractors as well as late 60's Cubs.  I'm using it to control my head lights and tail lights. The toggle on the right is for the LED plow light (more about that later!)

image.jpeg

The new LED tail lights are actually trailer marker lights but they are bright, low power draw, and look sharp!

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

My Uncle Roger put in a lot of hours fabricating the rear hitch. Several times he put something together that had to come apart and then remade...

image.jpeg

He decided to fabricate his own back plate for the rear end housing. He would build it tough enough to not only support he hitch but also take strain on the hydraulic ram on it.

image.jpeg

In this pic you can see the general location of the ram and the 1 1/2" c channel lift frame. image.jpeg

At this point we hadn't decided on the length of the hitch...

image.jpeg

Lots of Geometry went into this. Uncle Rog kept saying he wished that he had paid more attention in Geometry class. It might have reduced the number of "redos".  

image.jpeg

This was the first complete setup. It did require a little more modifying to clear the fuel tank but it is built probably 5x stronger than it needs to be in order to lift a 150# plow!

image.jpeg

Back plate painted.  Notice the ram mount in the middle and the hitch brackets on the right and left with stiff back gussets across.

image.jpeg

This is the hitch painted IH white. Notice the cradle with the slotted links to attach the top of the ram to allowing for an inch of float.  Now we need to bolt it up, get Hydraulic lines made, and test it out for function and any problems that could arise...

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Fresh pictures of our hitch installed...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

tomorrow I need to get my hoses made up and we are ready to test!!!

• Like 3

Ken B
On 10/22/2016 at 1:59 AM, PeacemakerJack said:

Ken--what a beautiful machine! You really did an amazing job!:handgestures-thumbupright:

Do you mind if I ask who the kid is in the second pic?

That would be my 14 yr. old son Cole...

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Wow! Time flys doesn't it!  Does he like GT's or have a "horse" of his own?

I finally got the last of my custom hoses made up on my lunch break yesterday. Once I had put everyone to bed last night, I spent about an hour routing the hoses and filling the tranny with fresh HyTran.  Then it was time for the big moment...It worked just like it should!  I ran it for about 5-7 minutes and it raised and lowered the hitch without incident:greetings-clappingyellow:.  I hooked the plow on it and it took that right up to the proper level and dropped it  with ease.  One of the hoses is sticking above where the tunnel cover is to go and so I must get a different fitting installed there in order to have the proper clearance so that the cover can be installed.  My long list for the Grizzly is getting shorter every day. And that is a good thing because we leave for Bluniers in three days.  Next up, I need to test it in the dirt to make sure we are good!

PeacemakerJack

It works!!!!

image.jpeg

After a month plus of planning and prep, tonight I was able to actually test the Grizzly!  I need some more weight as I was lacking for traction but the power with that twin Vanguard was impressive and I was pleasantly surprised with how well the hydro worked (since I'm a dyed in the wool GD guy when it comes to plowing).

image.jpeg

I had one leak on a fitting that I hadn't tightened like I should've (it's tight now) and I still need a different fitting for one of the hoses that heads to the ram so that I can reroute that line and put the tunnel cover on.

image.jpeg

It's a sharp little tractor and I think Caleb will really enjoy his seat time on it! More updates following Bluniers plow day!

• Like 3

WHX??

Looks good Josh, that lift is going to be real NICE at the end of a pass!

Something like this would be appropriate for a decal..

imagesUNCZEF42.jpg

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Alright!  We took this thing to Bluniers Plow Day in Peoria and it did a really good job for its maiden voyage.  We have a couple of things to still work out with the hitch in conjunction to the hydraulic hoses on the back, the custom fuel tank leaks badly around where the filler neck meets the the cap (simple fix), and some custom weights for the front and we are good to go!  Yesterday I took it to my Buddies house and let him plow his garden.  We used the 12" plow and he had a blast with it.  

Its fun to listen to that v-twin work!  I got a kick out of the fact at Bluniers, if that thing was running, you could hear it!  At the night plow, I was talking with Mick Morgan in the barn over a hot bowl of chili and I could hear my uncle plowing on the other side of the 30 acre field! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1