Sign in to follow this  
1973Auto

1973 12 HP Auto

1973Auto

Hello All: New to the WH site. Just wondering about my horse. I have a 73 12 hp Auto. Don't hear too much about this make and model. Wondering if this was a good/bad year. If it is worth any more/less than other years/makes. I asked the same question on other sites but got little responce. I love the tractor and will not sell it. I live in upstate NY and get a lot of snow. It plows great and is a beast of a little tractor. Any info would be great. Thanks.

combatmp29r

1973Auto Welcome to the site. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of your specific tractor will come along soon. We have a wealth of knowledge on here :P

I know 1973 was a confusing year for wheel horses. I'm not sure exactly why, but wheel horse didn't use any of its normal names that year. They labled everything by HP and Trans. Confusing because they made 2 8hp 4speeds. 1 was a vertical shaft similar to the Commando V7, and the other was a horizontal shaft like a B-80. Why they did this :D :(

T-Mo

Hi. Welcome to the site. I'm also relatively new to Wheel Horses, but I've learn a great deal on this site and other sites as well. I believe most of the '73 line were sort of a transitional year - from the named tractors to the B, C, & D line. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 12 hp Auto was the prerunner to the C-120. There are more informed members here who can either verify that or set me straight here. Overall good tractors, solid, durable.

Again, welcome to the site.

Rollerman

Your tractor came in between the name series...ie the Raider,Charger,Bronco...etc,etc & the letter series models like the C-120,C141...etc,etc.

Your 12 auto is a nice machine with the Kohler K301 & Sundstrand hydro other than the name pretty much the same as a later C 120 automatic.

They were only labeled as that is 1973...by 74 the same tractor would have a new name the C120

There are a few of them out there, not as many as the C series that were built for more years.

So all in all unique for the name...but part for part the same as a C series.

nylyon

Welcome, glad you found us. As tickster said, but I think that 1973 was the first year in which the "modern" attachment system was used aka attach-a-matic. Except for the decals on the side, it is nearly identical to a 1974 C-120 automatic. A nice machine.

And what do you mean don't hear too much about this make :P Wheel Horse is among the top respected garden tractor names, or were anyway!

Welcome! :D

nylyon

Oh, by the way... where in NY are ya, I'm in the lower eastern end, Brewster.

1973Auto

Nylon: Thanks for the info. Not that I haven't heard of Wheelhorse, I haven't heard too much about the the 73 Auto. I always read about the guys with the Radiers, Charges, C-B-D series, etc, but very few post about my tractor. I also had a 74 C-120 w/ a Tecumseh and it was not as powerful as my Kohler. I live near Jamestown, about 1.5 hours sout of Buffalo.

TT

Welcome to Redsquare!

Everyone has pretty much hit on everything about your tractor that you're asking about. I believe since 1973 was the the year the AMC acquisition of Wheel Horse began to take place, more interest was placed on the selling of the assets than the naming of the tractors. There were quite a few units sold in 10, 12, 14, and 16 horsepower models, and the 18 Automatic was also introduced that year. (the predecessor of the D series line of tractors.)

Of interest to some folks here will be the fact that the 1973 automatic models are the only year that the direction control lever was located between the operators legs, sticking directly up through the center "console". It was relatively short in height and had a knob similar to the "flat-topped" manual transmission shifters.

I had a 1973 12 8 speed for a while and even used it last winter with my 42" snowthrower.

They are very well-built, user-friendly tractors and are also the first models to use the over-center bail-style PTO clutch engagement arrangement along with the previously mentioned "Attach-Matic" hitches, which required no tools to change attachments. :D The best part about having the Attach-Matic hitches is that most attachments for the B & C series and 300, 400, & 500 series garden tractor models from 1973 to 2007 will mount to your tractor with little to no modifications!

Here's a photo of the one I had with it's "older brother" at our local antique machinery show last June. It had a NEW engine, and came with a 42" mower and dozer blade. (I got it for a whopping $150.00 at an estate auction. :P)

pcsprng07009.jpg

Rollerman

A 74 C 120 with a Tecumseh. :D

Sorry to hear about that...LOL

Tecumsehs get a bad rap....I lean towards the Kohlers myself.

Nothing wrong with a tucky if it's running good...but so far I've only seen one in a Lawn Ranger from VA!

combatmp29r

OK I'll agree that I've don't like the horizontal tecumsahs much. I have been impressed so far with my vertical in the 70 Charger. Its a VH80 so its all cast , but still no major issues like I've had with HH series ones.

BPjunk

I have a 73 12 hp Auto. Don't hear too much about this make and model. Wondering if this was a good/bad year. If it is worth any more/less than other years/makes.

Hi 1973 AUTO,

You have a horse with no name. :D

But still the same guts, well built and will get the job done attitude as every other Wheel Horse. :P

The version you have is rare and since it does not have a name (now this was only in 1973) you will not hear about this model as much as other just because of the shear numbers of the other models. Raiders for example were made from 1968 to 1972, there's a Raider 8, 9, 10, 12 and 14.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

T-Mo

You have a horse with no name.

Thanks, Bill. Now I will be singing that little tune the rest of the evening. :D But, I like it, it's the first time I heard the '73s called that and how appropriate. :P

1973Auto

Thanks for all the info on my "Horse with no Name". She may be an old girl with no name but I'll put her up against any tractor at Home Depot in a towing contest.

Go WH!!!!!!! : :D

T-Mo

The real test would be if any of those Home Depot tractors will be around in 30 years. :D

Rollerman

Oh heck....the Home Depot tractor would have a better chance of winning if it stayed in the shipping box. :D

nylyon

And you'll amaze everyone that you don't need 23HP to work hard, all you need is 12.

kpinnc

I would say put her up against any TWO "tractors" from Home Depot... :D

Kevin

CHARGER9AUTO

Hello All: New to the WH site. Just wondering about my horse. I have a 73 12 hp Auto. Don't hear too much about this make and model. Wondering if this was a good/bad year. If it is worth any more/less than other years/makes. I asked the same question on other sites but got little responce. I love the tractor and will not sell it. I live in upstate NY and get a lot of snow. It plows great and is a beast of a little tractor. Any info would be great. Thanks.

1973 Auto, This my 1973 Wheel Horse 8 HP 4-Speed I picked up at the '06 WH show in PA for $400 not many tractors I buy are well maintained every year by

the previous owner and Garage kept . :D Ben1880135725_e236b89acb_b.jpg

combatmp29r

That is a nice looking tractor Ben.

CHARGER9AUTO

That is a nice looking tractor Ben.

I put new Wheel Horse decals on the tractor and some front 15x600-6 tires with rims I ordered NORTHERN HYDRAULICS to replace the old ones . I picked up some 20x800-10 rear tires new never even used for $15 except the valve stems were broken off I picked up some new stems to put them in and then blew up the tire 8 PSI . I replaced all the battery and starter cables at once so everything is

brand new . Ben Thanks