Bud Rig

414-8 seat switch & ignition

Bud Rig

414-8 seat switch light on, Ignition switch won't turn off tractor after jumping the solenoid. Last week after get caught in a rain, ran the tractor inside to wait for rain to stop, it had started and run normally prior to the rain storm, when the shower passed, went to start the tractor, the seat light came on, and tractor wouldn't start, turned the key on, and jumped the two solenoid terminals and she fired right up and ran properly, but when I pulled it back into the barn, the ignition key would not shut the tractor off, There are three wires that attach to the seat switch via a 3 prong plastic connector on the wiring harness, one orange, one green, and one black one that says com by its terminal, so knowing that the black is ground, I ran a  jumper wire between the green and orange, then ran that jumper to ground. The seat light went off, but tractor will not turn over when ignition is turned to start, but when ignition is left on run position, it will start and run by jumping the solenoid. Would appreciate any input, checked ground and positive connections at the battery, both are clean and tight, doesn't seem to be the seat switch as when it is jumped the conditions remain the same. Thanks,Brad    Model number:  3114K804         36215    

gwest_ca

The seat switch controls the ignition only - has nothing to do with the starter circuit.

Operator manual with wiring diagram

Garry

953 nut

:WRS:    Have you checked for a blown fuse? Also, be sure the PTO is off, move it from off to on and back to off a couple of times, they have been known to stick.

Bud Rig

Thanks Gentlemen for your replies, do you think the ignition switch could be the culprit, because even when I start the tractor with the ignition in the run position by jumping across the solenoid terminals, the ignition switch will not shut the tractor off, I have to choke it to stop it? I did check the fuses, both were ok, but I replaced them anyway, and moved the PTO lever back and forth several times to no avail, thanks for the manual link, just don't get why when the safety switch is bypassed and the dash light goes out, that the motor will not turn over via the ignition switch, only when jumping the solenoid, Thanks again for your input, Brad

pfrederi

Check the ground terminal on your ignition switch.  Is there continuity to ground (frame).  If not then check the switch body to the frame for continuity.  If there is than I would guess your switch is bad.