WHwest8597

Toro/WheelHorse OEM or Off Brands

WHwest8597

I need to buy some belts, blades and air and oil filters for my tractors.  Do you prefer Toro/WheelHorse  OEM parts or off brands.  I have always bought WheelHorse belts, but have bought off brand baldes and filters.  My 315-8 currently has a NAPA oil filter.

Racinbob

I like to use an OEM belt for the drive but I'm not as picky about the deck belts. Blades are whatever I find on Ebay and I use Motorcraft filters. :)

Don1977

I've always had great luck with OEM belts. Haven't had to buy any belts on the last few of years. The last belt I bought from Toro was in a Gates Sleeve with the Toro number on it in magic marker. I don't know if it came from Toro or the dealer got it from Gates.

ACman

Napa and Car Quest use wix filters . We sold Car Quest for many years , Then Napa . Same with belts , Gates then GoodYear . Plus all of Allis Chalmers oem parts to pic from , :handgestures-thumbupright: what memories that brought back :) . If you guys knew what kind of parts inventory and shop had access to . It was like heaven , if we didn't have it , the hardware did !  For oil we carried Chalmers , Kendall  (think they were bought buy Philip 66 and BradPenn is now produced there) later BradPenn , and Co-op (Farm Bureau) . I purchased a oem belt for the 1075 just from the consensus of members . For most parts Napa , hardware or the good old web , McMaster Carr Supply Co being one .

Edited by ACman

CasualObserver

:text-yeahthat::text-goodpost:

wave_n_point.gif

supportdealerssign.gif

• Like 2

jdleach

On belts, I go Toro.

Do I like Toro? Not at all. In fact, I won't own a Wheel Horse made by Toro. My cut-off year for Wheel Horse is 1987. After that...  If one comes up on Craig's List for sale, I pass it by.

But for many parts and, especially belts, I buy Toro. For filters, I use NAPA (Wix), also Kohler parts.

Bought a boatload of parts for my blackhood C-175 in the last few weeks from Toro. Spent a pile of money. Why? They are EXACTLY like original.

Just don't won't the whole tractor from Toro, especially if they have their name on it.

Reckon its a personal thing. Except for the quality of parts, and Toro has it. Same dies, jigs and fixtures Wheel Horse used, so the parts are right.

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor
25 minutes ago, jdleach said:

On belts, I go Toro.

Do I like Toro? Not at all. In fact, I won't own a Wheel Horse made by Toro. My cut-off year for Wheel Horse is 1987. After that...  If one comes up on Craig's List for sale, I pass it by.

But for many parts and, especially belts, I buy Toro. For filters, I use NAPA (Wix), also Kohler parts.

Bought a boatload of parts for my blackhood C-175 in the last few weeks from Toro. Spent a pile of money. Why? They are EXACTLY like original.

Just don't won't the whole tractor from Toro, especially if they have their name on it.

Reckon its a personal thing. Except for the quality of parts, and Toro has it. Same dies, jigs and fixtures Wheel Horse used, so the parts are right.

Certainly I respect your opinion. There are some products that I might feel the same about, Canon Products being one. But if you think about it without Toro:

• we wouldn't have the parts supply still available today that we have and able to keep our tractors still working.
  • without Toro, Wheel Horse tractors would be disposable.

Then add this: 

• the 520-H tractors, 520-HC tractors, and 520-8 tractors would not have been produced.
  • the Steering Reduction system would not have been produced.
  • the 60" mower deck would not have been produced.
  • the two-stage snowblower would not have been produced. 
  • the five different 5xi series would not have been produced.
  • Like 9

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: Well said John. :handgestures-thumbupright:

DennisThornton

I own pure Wheel Horses, Toro/Wheel Horses and a Pure Toro.  My pure Toro LX500 is a decent riding lawn tractor and it's obvious that Toro was frugal, but I think the compromises they made to reach a price point are acceptable for what it is and was intended.  It certainly is NOT of Wheel Horse or Toro/Wheel Horse quality or durability but also makes no claims to be a garden tractor!

And while I might have some less than flattering thoughts about the "Toro" brand overall, I see nothing wrong with the Toro/Wheel Horses and would hate for a newcomer to shy away from a Wheel Horse that just happened to have a "Toro" decal on it!

I expect my Toro/Wheel Horses to live as long a life as my Wheel Horses have and for decades on.

Tonyp

Here is a thread where I asked a similar question a few weeks ago.

I tried to order some GOODYEAR belts but they were out of stock so I did go over to Tractor Supply and grabbed what I needed for the 315 I just acquired ( Mower deck) it was a Kevlar coated belt for about $20 . Each of the previous WHEEL HORSE belts that I ordered came in a STENS  or TRUE  BLUE packaging.  My take, confirm the length and go get one locally. I am of the opinion that Kevlar is a premium belt but I think many of us have run with standard V-Belts for years. I have a NAPA drive belt on my 310, it's not Kevlar coated, it's been on the machine probably 7 or 8 years !  

The same belts GOODYEAR branded, Kevlar, are about $12 each.  I will order a few as spares. 

Edited by Tonyp

WHX??

I usually mix it up as (TSC, NAPA, Fleet Farm, etc.)  far as blades  & belts & "comsumables"  but like the others if I want the OEM part I will check with a dealer first. Biggest problem there is I don't have one close. Many of my OEM parts come from a dealer 1000 mills away in Hickory, SC through :techie-ebay:, I figure he has got to eat too and  kids to put through college! By the time I figure my gas & time his flat rate box is a better deal.

Don1977
1 hour ago, WHX7 said:

I usually mix it up as (TSC, NAPA, Fleet Farm, etc.)  far as blades  & belts & "comsumables"  but like the others if I want the OEM part I will check with a dealer first. Biggest problem there is I don't have one close. Many of my OEM parts come from a dealer 1000 mills away in Hickory, SC through :techie-ebay:, I figure he has got to eat too and  kids to put through college! By the time I figure my gas & time his flat rate box is a better deal.

If your buying from Killigans it's in Hickory, North Carolina.

WHX??

Yes that's the place Don my bad :hide:, most of their parts are reasonable, shipping is ok and they seem to have the oddball stuff on hand for fast delivery. If I am not mistaken (again) they are a bigger hardware store & power center.

jdleach
21 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Certainly I respect your opinion. There are some products that I might feel the same about, Canon Products being one. But if you think about it without Toro:

• we wouldn't have the parts supply still available today that we have and able to keep our tractors still working.
  • without Toro, Wheel Horse tractors would be disposable.

Then add this: 

• the 520-H tractors, 520-HC tractors, and 520-8 tractors would not have been produced.
  • the Steering Reduction system would not have been produced.
  • the 60" mower deck would not have been produced.
  • the two-stage snowblower would not have been produced. 
  • the five different 5xi series would not have been produced.

Notice closely what I wrote John.

At no point, did I trash Toro or their accomplishments. Further, I said it was a personal thing. The reasons I prefer to not own anything Toro has to do with several complex issues. One would have to have had a family manufacturing business to understand.

The post was meant to highlight my trust in Toro's quality, in spite of other reasons I hold.

clueless
On 9/21/2016 at 0:12 PM, ACman said:

Napa and Car Quest use wix filters . We sold Car Quest for many years , Then Napa . Same with belts , Gates then GoodYear . Plus all of Allis Chalmers oem parts to pic from , :handgestures-thumbupright: what memories that brought back :) . If you guys knew what kind of parts inventory and shop had access to . It was like heaven , if we didn't have it , the hardware did !  For oil we carried Chalmers , Kendall  (think they were bought buy Philip 66 and BradPenn is now produced there) later BradPenn , and Co-op (Farm Bureau) . I purchased a oem belt for the 1075 just from the consensus of members . For most parts Napa , hardware or the good old web , McMaster Carr Supply Co being one .

I, just read that Brad Penn is getting a divorce:o!