Sign in to follow this  
Rideawaysenior

Paint table

Rideawaysenior

So, I finally got to it. Over the summer, a very good friend of mine dropped off a real nice butcher table frame built of stainless steel. There was no top so he placed un finished pine as a surface which is really not that bad. I went to my local home depot and picked up some wood scraps. Six 5ft. lengths of 2x3 for 51 cents each, and two 2x6 lengths for 1.00 each. I framed out a box on the top of the table and enclosed the top and three sides with particle board. For a vent, I used galvanized pipe. One 4in. elbow, and one 4in T connector. I hooked them to a 1,000 cfm fan used as a wood shop dust collector. From there, I bought a standard dryer vent kit to use for the exhaust to the out side. For the small scale painting operations involved with the restoration of my Wheel Horses, it seems to be perfect. The air flow is right, table is big enough to place any parts I could ever want to paint. The box is about 3ft. deep, 6ft. long, and 4 ft. tall. I'll post some pics as soon as I take some. For about $150.00 I've got a pretty decent set up. Best of all, the wife won't ***** about the smell any more.

stevebo

Ride away,

Sounds like a great set up. I have a 2x2 wall vent variable speed. I use it when we have poker night for removing cigar smoke and when I paint. The problem is it really sucks the heat out too. Looking forward to pictures.

Duff

Darn, Jack! Wish you'd had that setup finished when I was down visiting so I could have taken some pics! I'm thinking of devising something similar. :hide:

Oh...and wives bitching about the smells associated with our projects? Mine about had a hissy fit when I came in the other day with gasoline on my boots. When I tried to tell her it was a man-scent, she didn't see the humor! :D Love her anyway! :hide:

I'll PM you with the latest on the 312-8's!

Duff :omg:

Rideawaysenior

Ok, here are the pics. I'm no carpenter so be nice now.

Picture1464.jpg

Picture1463-1.jpg

Picture1462.jpg

Picture1461.jpg

Duff

Clever, very clever! Looks like a good working unit!

Thanks!

Duff :hide:

Guest fireman

Hey Steve,

When ya going to invite me over for poker and cigars :hide:

Nice setup senior :D I might just have to do something like that.

oldandred

Who cares what it looks like as long as it works and looks like it will only one thing were the ex, goes out side put a big pan of water under it that will trap some of the paint i did that to mine and it works.

Guest fireman

Well after seeing this post and figuring that I was at the point of getting ready for paint I built my own spray booth. I used cheap 2x3 lumber from Home Cheepo and a roll of heavy mil plastic I had laying around. It is built in panels and bolted together so it can broken down and stored when not in use. Picked up an inline 6'" duct fan and 6" flexible ducting for the ventilation. Cut a piece of osb to fit in the window with a hole in it for the ducting to run through. A large piece plasitc is attached to the top and drapped over the front and has two slits for my arms and a hole to see inside while painting. The fan creates a draft and causes negative pressure inside the booth causing all the fumes and overspray to be sucked through the ducting and outside away from the house. Works fantastic (no complaints from the wife about the smell). I have a good majority of the firts RJ painted. I havent bothered taking pics of the restoration because it will just slow me down and i'm on a roll now. This first one will definately be ready for the show in July.

spraybooth.jpg

spraybooth-1.jpg

oldandred

Frieman

thats a great idea I wished i could do the same but my shop is full of parts and tractors but im going to try to though some stuff away no good stuff just junk.

sorekiwi

Love that old milling machine on the edge pf the picture, Fireman. :thumbs:

Rideawaysenior

I like the idea of the plastic too. Makes for easy maintenance. I didn't make a front drop because of the draft that the blower creates. Manufacturer spec is over 1,000 CFM. When I fire it up, you can feel the draft and see the paint drift towards the backwall. The only thing I don't think I did right was the positioning of the suction ports. They are too high. Easy fix though. I'm going to the Home Depot tomorrow and will pick up some 4in. duct and drop a line down that way. Hopefully that will make a difference.

Sarge

I plan to do something similar this summer outdoors to capture overspray and avoid the bugs . Just some 1x3 & 1x2 lumber, a couple rolls of cheapo plastic, a furnace blower and some furnace filters . Make a big enough room to do hoods or a whole tractor . Basically, set of filters stacked on the roof for incoming air , blower at the rear with filters for the suction side and a simple door . I've built several before for use in a friend's shop , they work great . Downdraft is the way to go, prevents overspray on the back of your parts .

Sarge