Adam Bish

520 axle on a C160

Adam Bish

can anyone here tell me if a 520 swept forward front axle will bolt directly up to the c160 chassis?  how hard are the swept forward front axles to locate??

thank you

• Like 1

Adam Bish

hello, anyone??

MalMac

It should. If you are keep the standard fan gear steering you will have to replace the lower steering shaft. You will also need front spindle's and rims. If you are putting the steering reduction on, you will need both steering shafts, spindle's and rims and the reduction gears and sterring block. Will need to drill holes in the frame for reduction steering and do some grinding on the lifting bell crank. I have never put one on a C series. I have only put them on 300, 400 and 500's. They should be the same. Maybe some one will chime in here that had put one on a C series.

The axels are easy locate. The rest is tougher.

• Like 1

Eric Friedrichsen

There is an axle on e-bay now.

• Like 1

Adam Bish

Thanks for the info guys. All I really need is the axle. The tractor will have power steering, so I will build everything else. It will also have aluminum wheels, so I am good there too. Are the pivot and spindle bushings still available, or will I have to turn my own??

MalMac

Pivot pin still available, not sure what you mean on spindle bushings? Are you referring to the wheel bearings? I don't recal any bushings on Axel where the spindle slides up through. If I remember right there are some thrust bearings that the Axel rides on that slip over the spindle.

wrightorchid

be sure to post your build of the power steering once you get started.

• Like 1

bds1984

It will fit. My C165 has one and the swap was easy, pretty much bolt and go. For a time I just had the front axle installed without the steering reduction unit until I could swap out the steering wheel, reduction unit, and steering shafts. You'll see how it'll come together as you tear into it. It's easy. 

• Like 1

Adam Bish
3 hours ago, MalMac said:

Pivot pin still available, not sure what you mean on spindle bushings? Are you referring to the wheel bearings? I don't recal any bushings on Axel where the spindle slides up through. If I remember right there are some thrust bearings that the Axel rides on that slip over the spindle.

wheel horse does not use brass/bronze bushings in the spindle/axle pivots? replaceable bushings between axle-pivot pin and spindle and axle upright??

2 hours ago, wrightorchid said:

be sure to post your build of the power steering once you get started.

pretty simple setup i use. a deere power steering box, and a chrome chevy power steering pump or just a small hydraulic pump is plenty for steering/lift or cat-0 3 point. very minor fabrication and welding.

MalMac

No, Wheel Horse did not use any bushings at all. I am not sure why unless it was a manufacturing cost thing. I myself have drilled and installed bushings in some of my tractors. If you have the equipment to set up and drill your Axel to install bushings, I would certainly do it. I do know that some of the Axel pivots were very sloppy right off the assembly line. It surprises me that would be acceptable.

• Like 1

Adam Bish
6 hours ago, MalMac said:

No, Wheel Horse did not use any bushings at all. I am not sure why unless it was a manufacturing cost thing. I myself have drilled and installed bushings in some of my tractors. If you have the equipment to set up and drill your Axel to install bushings, I would certainly do it. I do know that some of the Axel pivots were very sloppy right off the assembly line. It surprises me that would be acceptable.

i have a lathe and a multi-axis mill in my shop. installing bushings in these little guys is pretty easy.

prondzy
16 hours ago, MalMac said:

The 520 swept axle has a thrust (torrington) bearing and 2 thrust washers on each of the spindles where the axle rides on the spindle arm/ washer (look in the manuals section at a 520 with a swept axle you'll understand.)

Edited by prondzy