cranman51

Toro -Wheelhorse 212-5 clutch problem

cranman51

Greetings friends....I've got a head scratcher problem. I've got a 212-5 Toro/WH with the Onan engine that I've been debugging, and I can't get the drive to disengage. When I press down on the brake pedal, the drive pully loosens like it should, and it seems there is enough slack in the belt to slip on the pulleys, but the machine still drives forward and reverse. The brake doesn't seem to grab, and I am going to investigate that tomorrow to see if that is the problem. I'm wondering if the previous owner put the wrong  drive belt on and it won't slip because of the wrong length or angle of the sides of the belt. Am I going in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

N3PUY

There might be 2 heavy wire posts that are very near the motor pulley .... they are there to keep the belt from flaring out when the clutch is pressed.  They should be adjusted very close to the belt when the belt is tight.  When the belt is lose the belt is then pushed forward and out of the pulley.  If the belt has been replaced these could have been loosened or bent out of the way.  Take a look.   

cranman51

Thanks....one of the posts was adjustable and the other seemed fixed...and was a half inch from the belt when tight. I'll try bending it closer.

gwest_ca

Download part 2 of this ipl. There is a bit on replacing a drive belt that may help.

I apologize for the poor quality illustrations.

Garry

wh500special

I think I recall there also being two fingers on the moving idler pulley bracket that swings when the clutch is depressed.  Make sure they're not grabbing the belt.  

I think there are also multiple travel options on that swing arm for either the actuator rod from the pedal or for the spring. Might try adjusting that. 

Its been a while since I tinkered under one of these so I'm a little foggy on adjustments. 

If if the belt is a non-oem replacement, make sure it has the cloth covering on it. Bare belts don't slip well.  

Steve

cranman51

Thanks to all on the forum that helped me with this....got it going yesterday. I tried everything suggested, and I'm not sure which one worked! Thanks again.....