amcya

1960 Suburban 400 Help Needed

amcya

Hello everyone,

I have a nice Suburban 400 basket case that I am trying to get assembled. I am missing a few parts and was hoping to get some info from someone who owns one. The engine pulley, clutch/brake rod, and deck lift rod are missing. If someone is cool enough to measure these items I think I can make the rods and pick up a new pulley someplace. Thanks

• Like 5

russellmc301

i'll look for some measurements today.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

oliver2-44

Surplus Center (online) is a good source for the pulley

• Like 2

ol550

rod.jpg

About 23 1/2  tip to bend.

• Like 1

Racinbob

That would be the deck lift rod, right?:)

Phil854

Sent you a couple of messages about mower lift rod  I have one

Jack45

Make sure you get a steel pulley.  I went cheap and tried to use an aluminum one.  The motor ate it to pieces in about an hour. :P  Probably obvious to most of you but it wasn't to me at the time.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

amcya  :WRS: You found us now enjoy this site. Great people and limitless amount of info also. Take you time look at all areas or categories. Enjoy.

stevasaurus

Check out the for "sale section" in the classifieds here on the main page, we have a member selling all kinds of pulleys.  He might have what you are looking for.  :)  I think the guy's ad is on page 2 or 3.

Edited by stevasaurus

amcya

Thanks for all the help guys!

It was missing the engine so I rehabilitated a Tecumseh HS50 that I had laying around. I know it isn't original. but it will look the part and do the job. The untrained eye won't know the difference. Once I get everything working, I plan to blast the wheels and paint em the correct color. I will probably paint the seat spring red and add the decals too. I don't plan on doing a full resto on it.

wheel horse 1.jpg

• Like 6

amcya

Thanks for all the help guys!

It was missing the engine so I rehabilitated a Tecumseh HS50 that I had laying around. I know it isn't original. but it will look the part and do the job. The untrained eye won't know the difference. Once I get everything working, I plan to blast the wheels and paint em the correct color. I will probably paint the seat spring red and add the decals too. I don't plan on doing a full resto on it.

wheel horse 1.jpg

Jack45

My 400 has the exact same motor.  A bit cold blooded (even in 85 degrees) but runs well once I get it going.  What kind of muffler you running?  I hate the one on mine.  It blows the hot exhaust right on my leg and burns me if I don't have pants on.

Racinbob
31 minutes ago, Jack45 said:

My 400 has the exact same motor.  A bit cold blooded (even in 85 degrees) but runs well once I get it going.  What kind of muffler you running?  I hate the one on mine.  It blows the hot exhaust right on my leg and burns me if I don't have pants on.

It should be piped towards the front. Look at mine in post #3 and you can see the pipe on the right side. Of course the stack isn't original. A 45 degree fitting at the end with a shower cap muffler was original. A heat shield is used to protect your leg from the hot pipe. :)

• Like 1

Jack45

I have a different motor on mine and have not tried to tear the muffler off to see what I can modify.  It is a small muffler right on the motor.  Is any steel/iron pipe usable if the fittings are correct?

• Like 1

WHX??
19 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Of course the stack isn't original.

I don't think I've ever seen your 400 complete Bob Is that a Bud Andrews stack?

15 minutes ago, Jack45 said:

Is any steel/iron pipe usable if the fittings are correct?

Sure, I use 1/2" black Iron pipe (some are 3/4 I think) but any pipe will do find. You must have a threaded exhaust port outlet tho or fab one somehow. There should be two holes on the hood stand with a little piece of steel tacked there for a u bolt for support. See mine below I don't have the heat shield on yet. Two 45 deg ells are correct but 90's will work with some 3" + or - nipples.

15 hours ago, amcya said:

I know it isn't original. but it will look the part and do the job.

You are forgiven... :ychain:Thats fine it looks good ...and like ya said does the job! We know how hard or $$ it can be to find correct!

20160813_165653.jpg

Edited by WHX7
  • Like 4

Racinbob

Yes. My exhaust port wasn't threaded so I tapped it. A short nipple, a 90 degree elbow (depending on the motor you may need a 45), and a 12" piece of pipe then what ever you need for your muffler. I used black pipe since I was painting it. You'll see two holes in the side of the hood stand. A U bolt holds the pipe there. 

Yes Jim, a Bud Andrews stack. It came with a black muffler and I painted it with Rust-oleum High Heat Ultra.

• Like 1

WHX??
10 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

My exhaust port wasn't threaded so I tapped it.

i know what you mean Bob mine looked like this so I had to go buy a 1/2" npt tap to chase mine out, PO must went in there with a saw to get a old nipple out!

20150827_173520.jpg

• Like 1

amcya
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 1:30 PM, Jack45 said:

For Jack45 (and anyone else running an HS50 Tecumseh in their Suburban, here are the parts I used to replicate the original exhaust.

Starting from the engine

1.5" nipple

45 deg adapter (requires some grinding to clearance the carb linkage)

5" nipple

45 deg adapter

8.5" nipple

45 deg adapter

2" nipple

Kohler replica muff

20160830_171028.jpg

20160830_171032.jpg

I want to give a shout out to Phil854 for the extra help he has provided on this project! Thanks Phil!

• Like 5

Phil854
23 hours ago, amcya said:

For Jack45 (and anyone else running an HS50 Tecumseh in their Suburban, here are the parts I used to replicate the original exhaust.

Starting from the engine

1.5" nipple

45 deg adapter (requires some grinding to clearance the carb linkage)

5" nipple

45 deg adapter

8.5" nipple

45 deg adapter

2" nipple

Kohler replica muff

20160830_171028.jpg

20160830_171032.jpg

I want to give a shout out to Phil854 for the extra help he has provided on this project! Thanks Phil!

Hey not a problem glad I could help enjoy your WH :auto-swerve:

• Like 1

amcya

It still needs belt guards and control knobs but my work is done. This one is going to my brother for a Christmas present and he can add the finishing touches. It will find a place next to his Allis Chalmers Big Ten and will share lawn duties too.

10.11.2016-1.jpg

10.11.2016-2.jpg

• Like 4

slim67

All these nice suburbans have me chomping at the bit so I can get started back on mine.

WHX??

Looks good & like the way the exhaust system turned out :handgestures-thumbupright: & the Techy does look the part! You can get repro belt guards if that's an issue.

family tradition

Looking to see what motors these came with . and where I can find parts looking at one for 250