BOB ELLISON

4 post starter solenoid replaces 3 post

BOB ELLISON

Well went out to start my b80 yesterday and 1 click is all I got. So I figured it had a dead battery. I charged the battery and tried again  and 1 click. Battery has good charge but it did go to 11.79 volts overnight  so I went and got a new battery. Tried with new battery and 1 click. Now I have to check wires,starter,switch and solenoid. So I checked what I thought it would be solenoid and bingo that's what it was.

I looked for a 3 pole solenoid and no one has one not even napa. Every one has to order it. So I went to tractor supply  and got a 4 pole . After checking some post on Redsqure I  hooked it up using only the S post ,battery and starter post and she started up great.

THANKS AGAIN REDSQUARE GUYS.

This is the very reason why last year I bought my first ever wheel horse and not another craftsman. I did a lot of research for a tractor and found this site. I could read everything about wheelhorse that I didn't know anything about. 

Smartest move I've ever made.

And the saddest thing is I love working on them. Can't wait for another break down.......

• Like 4

squonk

I'm surprised it worked. The 2nd small post is supposed to be a ground connection for the solenoid coil. :confusion-confused:

953 nut

The four post solenoid you picked up is probably from a 12 volt Ford product which used an external ignition resistor. The fourth terminal would give the coil 12 volts (bypassing the ignition resistor wire) while starting to provide a stronger spark, Ford used this from 1956 to mid 70s when they went to electronic ignition.

• Like 2

squonk

Not all solenoids are created the same. I forgot about the Ford solenoids. The small L & G units with the 4 th pole are designed to mount on a non grounded surface. Then you have the 4 pole continuous duty versions for like snow plows, liftgates ect. Then you have the copper, nickel, silver  and platinum contacts. The list goes on and on.

BOB ELLISON
59 minutes ago, squonk said:

I'm surprised it worked. The 2nd small post is supposed to be a ground connection for the solenoid coil. :confusion-confused:

913 nut is right it is a Ford and it works and looks just like the old original solenoid. When I got it home the first thing I did is to check the ground at the mounting bracket . It was grounded but the post marked I was not. Here is some pics .

20160810_071951.jpg

20160810_072021.jpg

• Like 2