HorseSense

Wheel Horse for commercial use

HorseSense

Thank you, fellows, for this big feedbag of food for thought.  

I believe that efficiency, in mowing grass as in everything else, is the right balance between speed and quality. I'm trying to choose the right tool for the anticipated task--in this case, the maintenance of small to medium size residential lawns, to help me achieve that balance within a specific budget, and to make a reasonable profit.

That, and a fact that I like older, simpler, well-built, American-made stuff. I drove a 1965 Chevrolet one-ton truck, with a 230 inline-six engine and a four-speed transmission, for twelve years, hauling stone for walls and patios, etc., and gravel and granite dust, full time. When I bought that truck I was told by pretty much everyone that it was too old, that the motor would be too weak, that I needed a metal dump bed.The truck turned out to be a tool well matched to the task, at a minimal expense, since it was simple enough mechanically that I could do all of the maintenance and most of the repairs on it myself. I loved driving it.

So, a Wheel Horse is still a consideration.

Again, thanks for your comments. 

NW7 003.jpg

• Like 7

T-Mo
12 hours ago, JackC said:

My cousin says his Cub Cadet zero turn can go 16 MPH. My 520-HC can do 7 mph. A 520-H is more like 6 mph.

For small lawns and a smaller tractor, I like the 1988 / 1989 252-H or 257-H with the Kawasaki engines. The decks are different and harder to find because the tractor sits higher than other Wheel Horses. The drive pulley tower for those decks is taller. A decent used zero turn and something smaller like a 252-H is where I would start looking.  If you like mowing they are all good except for the D Series.  The D's are better at plowing than mowing.

No Cub Cadet zero turn has anywhere near that speed.  Cub Cadet's fastest commercial zero turn is 12 mph.  Dixie Chopper is probably the fastest zero turn on the market, and I doubt if their fastest can do 16 mph.

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

HorseSense

Based on your comments that you intend to concentrate on small to medium size residential lawns, I'd recommend the following:

1. Small zero turn, 42"-54" with bagger unit if you think you need to ride (which you won't)  or,

2. Walk behind with bagger unit and stand-on sulky 36"-54". 

And with either choice a self propelled walk behind with bagger for smaller yards or tight spaces i.e. Narrow gated yards, traffic islands etc,  gas string trimmer, edger and back pac blower. Don't buy the cheap brands for the small equipment. Look at Toro, Stihl etc. 

You may not need a bagger for every lawn but those that get a lot of fertilizer and water will need it. Or if the home owner is picky about their lawn like I am. Otherwise you'll be double cutting which adds time to the job and will increase the thatch layer.  The bagger will also assist you in spring and fall cleanups. Especially when it comes time to remove leaves. 

If your your doing this part-time you could consider a residential z but a commercial model from one of the major manufacturers would be a better investment. Same for the walk behind. 

My first choice would be the walk behind if your lawns are going to be less than an acre in size. If they are on the small size you won't use the sulky but on larger lawns you have the option to use it. If the majority of lawns are larger than 1 acre, like large estate size or large commercial them I'd go zero turn. 

As stated before, you will reduce you time in half using a z-turn or walk behind vs a tractor. 

Regarding the small equipment. A string trimmer, stick edger  and blower will help put the finishing touch to all your hard work and keep you clients happy. I selected a back pack blower over a handheld blower for several reasons. Because it moves a lot more air then the handheld it will disperse clumps of grass better and quicker so if you get a lawn that has areas that clump up  you can just blow the clumps around and disperse them. It's also quicker for cleaning hard surface areas  such as driveways walkways and paver surfaces and if you're getting into fall cleanup it's faster for leaf removal then the handheld blower and it's less fatigue on your arm and hand. 

My opinions are based on my experience. 

I  operated my own lawn care business for several years on the side  back in the early 80s. I tried the small tractors with bagging units but found I spent a lot of time turning around and they were slower than a z or walk behind which cost me money.  I spent 30 years of my professional career operating and maintaining parks and athletic fields.   At the end of my career we used zero turn mower's exclusively. 

Pm me if you have any questions. 

Dave

• Like 2

BenTheWheelHorseMan
4 hours ago, HorseSense said:

I believe that efficiency, in mowing grass as in everything else, is the right balance between speed and quality. I'm trying to choose the right tool for the anticipated task--in this case, the maintenance of small to medium size residential lawns, to help me achieve that balance within a specific budget, and to make a reasonable profit.

That, and a fact that I like older, simpler, well-built, American-made stuff. I drove a 1965 Chevrolet one-ton truck, with a 230 inline-six engine and a four-speed transmission, for twelve years, hauling stone for walls and patios, etc., and gravel and granite dust, full time. When I bought that truck I was told by pretty much everyone that it was too old, that the motor would be too weak, that I needed a metal dump bed.The truck turned out to be a tool well matched to the task, at a minimal expense, since it was simple enough mechanically that I could do all of the maintenance and most of the repairs on it myself. I loved driving it.

NW7 003.jpg

I think that the general consensus is that if you could get the equipment in reasonably good shape at your price point and maintain it well, we would all love to see wheel horses gettin public exposure still doing what they were made for. It is in the end your decision wether or not to go the wheel horse route. All I can say now is good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Edited by BenTheWheelHorseMan
Process to progress
  • Like 1

SPINJIM

Try local estate auctions for a used zero turn.  I saw a nice Simplicity with only 200 hours on it recently at an auction.   Also, try local Toro, Xmark, and Gravely dealers.   Sometimes they get a low hours trade-in, and sell it with a warranty.   I have a dozen Wheel Horses, but wouldn't mow my 2 acres with anything other than a zero turn.   My Gravely ZT cuts in half the time, goes around trees easier, and gives a more even cut.   ZT's cut at about 3500 rpm blade speed:  WH  at about a third of that blade speed.  

Just avoid any zero turn with the Kohler Courage engine on it.

Jim

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
11 hours ago, HorseSense said:

NW7 003.jpg

That's the same thing I have heard people say about my 66 F350 with the 352 and 4 speed that I use for hauling brush and firewood off of location on tree jobs...the old girl may be slow but she always starts right up and works hard until the job is done...and when repairs do need to be made...parts are relatively cheap and I can do the work myself. 

image.jpeg

• Like 6

JimmyJam

Welcome to RedSquare! Times/Landscaping has changed over the years. So has the competitiveness! I use my B-80 for commercial mowing as a property manager. I wish I had a zero-turn, but I love to run my horses out in the grass! I use a weed-whacker for the details! 

• Like 2

Red144runner

I am a grounds keeper at a highschool and have 10 lawns in my own small side business. I'll agree with the others, for mowing I run walk behinds, specifically "T" bar 36" toro prolines. They cut and stipe fantastic and are efficient. Now, I don't mow fast, at a high speed but the maneuverability is where you save time. That being said the wheel horses give a quality cut, are certainly built to commercial standards too. I'd use mine to tow a plug araetor, spreader, grader etc without hesitation. Here are my mowers

Here's my '85 working. That grass was 12"

image_zpshkqh7ktm.jpg

and my '06

saws1020_zps26d96e24.jpg

• Like 4

Retired Wrencher
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:28 AM, stevasaurus said:

My Dad had his own Lawn Care business back in the 70's.  He had 4 Wheel Horses...502, 702, 857, and a Raider 10 (1972).  He did not just mow lawns though.  He plowed and tilled gardens, dragged new yards, moved snow with a blade and a blower.  He did quite well in the business, but that was the 70's.  No problem getting parts, no zero turns, but there were not any places like Red Square and garden tractors did not show up at collector shows.  There may actually be more support now then there was then.

Don't forget about rolling yards also...easy money there.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Steve Just curious the 702- 857  where those your Dad`s.

• Like 1