Swine_10

Noisey Spindles On 42" Mower Deck

Swine_10

I just bought a 318-8 with a RD deck and replaced the spindle belt because there was a grinding. Thought it would fix the problem because the belt was in rough shape. It still makes a grinding noise coming from one of the spindles. Would it be the bearing in the spindle or ?? 

Ed Kennell

When you had the deck belt off, did you check each spindle for noise, side (radial) and vertical(axial) movement?  Radial movement of a shaft or pulley is a sure indication the bearing is worn.

Any grinding noise or friction means it has disintegrated.  Also check the idler tension pulley for noise and movement.   Mule drive and PTO bearings can also cause noise.    Check them all with the belt off.

And :text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

• Like 1

russellmc301

add some oil and it might fix the problem:think:

Wheel-N-It
32 minutes ago, russellmc301 said:

add some oil and it might fix the problem:think:

Probably too late , grease the problem spindle with about 10 shots of light quality grease. Which spindle is it? Is it the center one? Very important to know.

Swine_10

I greased and oiled all the pulleys really well and still makes the grinding noise. With the belt off I spun all the pulleys and the far left pulley is only making the noise. Also the tensioner pulley seems to rub on the tension bar right below it (with the belt on).

Edited by Swine_10

Wheel-N-It

Sounds to me like it's bearing replacement time, at the least

Swine_10

Is it a tough task to replace the bearings? How much do you think they cost around?

Wheel-N-It
3 minutes ago, Swine_10 said:

Is it a tough task to replace the bearings? How much do you think they cost around?

Wish I could tell you exactly, but I've never had to do any work on the spindles on any of my decks since I bought my first wheel horse in 1991. I grease the deck before each use with LE grease.

Thisguyisnew

I currently have no issues but am fairly confident I could handle a bearing replacement. Does anyone know what's a good inexpensive brand or equivalent size just for future reference.

wrightorchid

The spindles and bearings are available, but a pain to do, and can be pricey.  There are various threads already on here, with lots of pictures.   There is one called 48" SDD that has a full deck rebuild that is pretty interesting. 

Edited by wrightorchid
  • Like 1

daveoman1966

Replace the whole spindle.... I just sent a PM regarding this option. 

my direct email is:

daveoman@windstream.net