GMan

New to Me 520H

GMan

Hey Guys,

Just purchased this "Barn Find" Wheel Horse 520H. It carries ID3120OEQ2 and 9058 serial number. I'm not sure but I think it is a 1989. I bought it from the original owner's family after he had passed away. He took delivery of it November of '89. I am really excited about this as it is only the second Wheel Horse I have ever owned. I even got the owners manual, parts manual, deck manual and original delivery documents. It seems to be complete with everything it was born with except the plastic headlight "surround buckets" or whatever they are called. This tractor has not run in many years and it shows just over 1000 hours on the clock. It came with what I think is a 48" deck. I have no idea what to expect as I dig into this thing as I could not get any history from the family members about it other than the owner loved it and used it a lot. I have rebuilt many Onan engines over the years so that part doesn't scare me. I bought this to power a 20" buzzsaw rig I have so it is going to be a real challenge but a lot of fun. It really would be shame for me to not restore it somewhere along the way. I gave $300 for this tractor. Do you guys think this was a reasonable price for it?

Gary

My 89 520H-2.JPG

My 89 520H-3.JPG

My 89 520H-4.JPG

My 89 520H-5.JPG

My 89 520H-6.JPG

Edited by GMan
spelling correction
  • Like 9

stevebo

Great deal. I have an 89' 520 like that and is my best running machine I have. 

• Like 1

muz123

You got a great deal on that! Just be careful when your mowing the Nikki carb is very sensitive. I clean the carb every year. Overall the 520 is my favorite wheel horse! Nice score! :handgestures-thumbupright:

djohn24

Gman, $300 was a steal! The plastic sleeves around the headlights are called headlight bezels and from what I'm learning, they are getting hard to find, I bought a pair off ebay 3 years ago. I just checked on there, nowhere to be found. 

Pollack Pete

Great looking 520H.They seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately.Have fun with your new toy.

T-Mo

Great deal.  You did good.  And nice looking machine.

gwest_ca

Suspect the 9058 is the Julian build date. 58th day of 1989 which is Monday February 27, 1989

The serial number should be less than 20693 which has a 9059 build date.

Garry

GMan
11 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Suspect the 9058 is the Julian build date. 58th day of 1989 which is Monday February 27, 1989

The serial number should be less than 20693 which has a 9059 build date.

Garry

Thanks to all who have commented thus far. I am really anxioux to get into this thing!

To Garry: Thanks for your specific info...........In checking further, there was another number on the tag (the only one I did not include in my first post), that being #20588. From what you stated I suspect this to be the serial number.

For anyone else who reads this, if anyone knows of a pair of those headlight bezels I certainly be interested in them. Just let me know. I will probably place an ad in the proper place for such things as I have more time to do so................................Thanks again all.................Gary H.

wrightorchid

Interesting rear hitch attachment.  Be sure to replace the fuel lines, and filter.  You don't want any gunk going from the tank to the engine.  You paid a low price. Seems to be a bit of oil around the PTO side of the engine.   I have a 1988 and I think the battery much have leaked, since there is a lot of missing metal, including on the deck.  have fun, they have tons of power.  There is lots of info on this.  Yes, the headlight bezels are NLA from Toro and Partstree.  Seems like the more common parts are getting to be NLA quickly these days.

ClassicTractorProfessor

:WRS: Nice looking 520 you found there...for the price you have you got a heck of a deal...looking forward to seeing your progress with it.

gwest_ca
3 hours ago, GMan said:

To Garry: Thanks for your specific info...........In checking further, there was another number on the tag (the only one I did not include in my first post), that being #20588. From what you stated I suspect this to be the serial number.

................Gary H.

Thanks for posting the serial number. Added to the list

Garry

TDF5G

I'd say you did well on it.  I'll bet with a little TLC she'll fire right up!

:text-bravo:

GMan

Thanks again to all who have responded. I will try and update this thread as progress is being made on this tractor. I think one of the first things I want to do is run a compression check and leak-down test on the engine to see if I think it can run without too much effort. If it is going to require a rebuild it will have to get in line as I have one on the bench right now that has to happen first....................Anyway, till we post again! ......................Gary

djohn24

Gman, You wouldn't happen to be Gman that played online on playstation3 a number of years ago?

GMan
18 minutes ago, djohn24 said:

Gman, You wouldn't happen to be Gman that played online on playstation3 a number of years ago?

Sorry, but no I"m not....................I'm just an old man who still plays with tractors:)

djohn24

Lol! Ok, My boys used to play the play station 3 thing online with another player from Indiana and his player name was gman. I would say do the compression check first. I have a 93 520H that has 1055 hrs on and it has like around 118 psi on rear cylinder and 125 on front. Which is really good from what i have read. Sounds like 75 psi is the low end for," still ok" from what i have read on Onans'. So if your's is above those numbers?  I wouldn't think there would be a need for leak down test. However, pulling the heads and cleaning the carbon off pistons /valves and doing a valve adjustment is something you should consider. As with that many hours, it would be due for it or if the PO ever even did it. Have fun and it enjoy that 520!

GMan

Guy's,

Ran a compression check today. Pretty much what I expected for as long as this tractor has sat unused. I figured it had to be parked for a reason. Got 12 PSI on the number one (front) cylinder and 0 PSI on the number two (rear) cylinder. There is so much dirt/oil mix crud inside the flywheel cover it is even with the lower edge of the screen hole. A lot of oil seepage around the oil filter area and around the dipstick tube base too. This is typical of most Onans I have worked with that have not had the best of service care. I'll replace all the gaskets upon reassembly of the engine.

Not discouraged though, just another challenge! I will be pulling the engine soon and I will try to remember to shoot some photos along the way to share with the group here. I suspect it has lost a rod on #2. No big deal though. I have multiple sets of rods, pistons, blocks, cams, etc. on hand so we'll tear into it and see what we find.

I will keep everone posted as things transpire.......................Gary 

djohn24

Sounds like the #2 cylinder would be a broken rod. Be interested in the cause for the front cylinder with 12 psi's. Because what I have learned so far, the #2 cylinder is the one that takes more of a beating. Look forward to seeing your updates!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

having all the paperwork. "the provenance" if thats how you spell it. lol

Is a big bonus to me. best of luck.

Glenn

mustang1970

My son has a pair of bezels  will check with him and let you know.

mustang1970

My son has a pair of bezels  will check with him and let you know. Any chance of trade he needs parts for his Suburban deck if you have any.

GMan
39 minutes ago, mustang1970 said:

My son has a pair of bezels  will check with him and let you know. Any chance of trade he needs parts for his Suburban deck if you have any.

Sorry, but the 520H is the only Wheel Horse I currently have...........Key word is currently! I can see already why it's so easy to get hooked on these horses..............Still interested in a set of the headlight bezels though so keep me posted about that..............................Thanks............Gary