19richie66

418-A engine swap question

19richie66

I bought a 418A last month.  Got it running briefly only to find it has a bad rod knock. I plan on pulling it down eventually but for right now it will just go under the workbench. So I have a choice of engines to choose from to go on it temporarily, unless it works great and I leave it that way. I have a Kohler KT17 series 1 or a Magnum 12. Both unknown hours but they both run great. Would the 12 push the eaton 1100 rear and a 48" deck? I am leaning towards this one due to no points to fool with. Either way the tractor wiring is hacked and needs to be redone. What do you think? Thanks, Richie

Racinbob

You'd be fine with the 12. I put a 48" deck on a GT-1100 and it handled it great. My dad did the same on a Raider 12. They were both manuals but I don't think the hydro uses up much power. :)

BESTDOGEVER

I have a 48 inch on a 310 and it works just fine in fact I can't believe how cool that engine runs under load 

BESTDOGEVER

If the kt17 is running it would be a straightforward drop in swap points are not really a big issue unless they don't work the only issue is if you have any slopes to mow the non pressurized oil system could be a problem 

Edited by BESTDOGEVER

19richie66

I think I am leaning toward the 17. It runs great, no smoke.The bolt holes should be the same and belt should work. I have nothing but flat ground to mow so that should t be a problem.Think I might hit it tomorrow if I can get the time. Thanks everyone.