rmaynard

Too Much Play In Front Spindles?

rmaynard

That is the question.

As some of you know, I am modifying the front end of my 1996 416-H to accommodate a front end loader. I have purchased a swept-forward axle and heavy duty spindles from a 1997 520-H at the big show. I am replacing the stock wheels with 4-lug hubs and rims with 6-ply tires.

Today, I finally had the time to start dissecting the parts, and I have found some play in the holes where the spindles go through the axle. With the spindle pointing straight out, if I move the threaded end of the spindle up and down, the total movement at the end is about 3/32".  Is this normal or too much? 

I'm sure this topic has been covered, but doing a search yields no precise answers.

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 3

Achto

If you feel there is too much play you could drill the hole in the axle bigger and install bushings to get back to the correct size and eliminate the play.

• Like 1

JAinVA

Bob,

I am doing the same thing to my 312A.The .090 thousanth play is to much in my opinion.As you well know wear occurs at both the axle and spindles.You can do what achto suggests and it will help but if the spindles are  grooved from wear then it may be that the spindles need to be replaced.I'm am going with new spindles and will leave the axle alone.I am more concerned about the play that I have found at the axle pivot point in the frame.With the added weight of a loader 1/4" plate steel is not up to the stress of the added loads over the long term.I intend to increase the frame thickness and the thickness at the tachmatic front mount as well.Just throwing out these comments because I am looking at the same issues.Hope this helps.JAinVa

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

roadapples

I know this will sound mickey mouse to some, but I used a narrow strip of soda can. It`s about .004 thick and aluminum so it can`t hurt anything. Tilt the axle and slide it down alongside. I started with about a 1/2" piece and trimmed it `till it would slide down. I think I wound up with approximately 1/4 x 1 1/2. It took up the play and grease can easily get around it...So far so good. If it doesn`t last I wasted a 1/2 hr.  ...

• Like 2

MalMac

One thing to remember, and that is when these tractors were new,  they came with more slop in them than one would think would be acceptable. I am not saying they don't wear because they do. I have even re-bushed front axels. It's just they were never a high tolarance tight fit precision set up. They could have been but  that would have added to the cost of the tractor. 

All good ideas mention already on tightening up the slop. I just converted a 414 over with steering reduction for loader use. Put like new sterring components in and there was to much play in the sterring for me. So I started shimming to get slop out. There are a lot of good post on here and ideas from members on what they have done.

• Like 2

rmaynard

I checked the play in the axle/spindle and found that I could slip a .005 feeler gauge in-between the two. So I ordered a selection brass shim material in .001, .0015, .002, .0025 .and 003 sizes.

shims.jpg

Should be able to wrap the spindle with one of those sizes and take away most of the slop. .

• Like 3

tunahead72
On 7/12/2016 at 11:04 PM, roadapples said:

I know this will sound mickey mouse to some, but I used a narrow strip of soda can. It`s about .004 thick and aluminum so it can`t hurt anything. Tilt the axle and slide it down alongside. I started with about a 1/2" piece and trimmed it `till it would slide down. I think I wound up with approximately 1/4 x 1 1/2. It took up the play and grease can easily get around it...So far so good. If it doesn`t last I wasted a 1/2 hr.  ...

Just wondering, still good?

And did you ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?  There's a discussion in there about making do with whatever you have available, and in some ways your solution sounds absolutely perfect for Bob's problem.

1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

I checked the play in the axle/spindle and found that I could slip a .005 feeler gauge in-between the two. So I ordered a selection brass shim material in .001, .0015, .002, .0025 .and 003 sizes.

shims.jpg

Should be able to wrap the spindle with one of those sizes and take away most of the slop. .

So Bob, are you going to tell us where you ordered these shims from? :popcorn:

rmaynard

Amazon.com. Search "assorted brass sheets".

• Like 1

tunahead72

Hmmm...  In addition to being quite useful for a variety of purposes, and possibly solving Bob's problem, these shims apparently have entertainment value as well :):

Verified Purchase
You should buy these just to listen to them sing! I bought them to cut shims, but man, you will be blown away by the sounds the sheets make. You can wiggle from the thinnest to the thickest, they all make wonderful trippy sounds - HIGHLY recommended.
  • Like 3

Wishin4a416

When I was restoring the 160, I had a spindle on one side that was worn excessively Bob. I had a friend weld in the gouge with stainless rod and I chucked it up in the horizontal drill press and filed to match the original stock. Just an FYI if the shims dont hold up under the stress of the loader.

• Like 1