Lane Huls

k181 quick start wiring

Lane Huls

How can I rig it up to fire (or attempt to) out of a tractor? All I have to work with is the engine with it's points, a coil/condenser and a jump pack.

Daddy Don

Try jumping a wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil be careful and make sure the points are open don't want to fry them. 

953 nut

Be sure you have the engine secured so it won't walk off when it starts.

Basic points ignition with solenoid.jpg

• Like 2

Lane Huls

I like your optimism, in my case I have no starter gen to work with. I'll be using a pull rope. All I need is a powered ignition coil right? So everything in the coil part of this diagram, the wire to the coil to the key (ill use a toggle switch) Battery to toggle and ground on the engine. Sound right?

953 nut
5 hours ago, Lane Huls said:

I like your optimism, in my case I have no starter gen to work with. I'll be using a pull rope. All I need is a powered ignition coil right? So everything in the coil part of this diagram, the wire to the coil to the key (ill use a toggle switch) Battery to toggle and ground on the engine. Sound right?

:handgestures-thumbupright:  sounds right!

wallfish

The way I do it is just run a wire from + side of coil and clamp it in the + side of the jump pack. Connect the ground to the engine. Now touch the + clamp to the post on the starter and release it when the engine starts, but the wire to the coil must remain connected to the clamp. Disconnect either clamp to shut down.

Lane Huls

Thanks guys! Strongest running k181 I've ever had