krazy_horse

B-80 starter solenoid

krazy_horse

I believe the starter solenoid on my B-80 has failed as the tractor was stored for over a year. I put a known good battery and nothing, I cleaned and checked all wires and can get the engine to turn by bridging the solenoid. The solenoid looks to be one very similiar to an old mustang or ford truck. Can you advise on what I need to purchase for a replacement?  Regards, Jim    ....krazy_horse

• Like 1

Racinbob

Jumper from a hot + to the small terminal. If there's still nothing then, providing all the wiring it ok, replace it. You can use a Ford solenoid if you want. Just connect the wire from the ignition switch to the 'S' terminal. Ignore the 'I' terminal. :)

Ford 4-Terminal Solenoid Wiring.jpg

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the_nite_owl

When you turn the key to crank the engine, rap the side of the solenoid with a wrench or something.  Not hard enough to break it but a bit of a jolt in case the contact inside the solenoid just happens to be stuck.  It might jolt loose and begin working again.

Check your ground for the solenoid.  If the ground is weak the coil may not get enough current to close the contacts.  If it is grounded directly to the frame then check your frame ground.  I have had a lot of issues with the frame ground on my D-160.

You can always see if a nail sticks to the top of the solenoid when you turn the key as well, that would show the coil is energizing and creating a magnetic field.  If it energizes but you get no click then the contacts are frozen to one side.

• Like 1