ClassicTractorProfessor

A green one somehow followed me home

ClassicTractorProfessor

I'm a Wheel Horse guy all the way...and never thought this day would come lol. But I picked up this little John Deere 116 on the way home from work earlier for $25. She was asking 50 I was fixin to offer 30 and that's when she said you know what for you I'll let you have it for 25...couldn't pass a deal like that up 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

Phatboy

Some guys got all the luck !! If you was in PA id give ya 50 for it ,, hehe,,,and nothing wrong with deere,, if i didnt habe the tractors i have id have a 332 or 430,,, for sure they are stout tractors..

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Now there's a flippin' tractor...  :lol:

if ever I saw one.  :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Not sure what I'm gonna do with it just yet...guys down here go nuts for Deere equipment so I may clean it up a bit, get it running and sell it. Then use the money to buy another Horse or two LOL

• Like 4

ACman

That's the spirit!  :text-lol: Use the green, and buy more red  :handgestures-thumbupright: !

• Like 6

857 horse
6 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

Not sure what I'm gonna do with it just yet...guys down here go nuts for Deere equipment so I may clean it up a bit, get it running and sell it. Then use the money to buy another Horse or two LOL

:text-yeahthat:The only idea I came up with !!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

squonk

JD = Jillion Dollars!  :lol:

clueless

Love the saddle tank;)

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Got around to working on the old Deere some this evening...took the carb off and cleaned it real good...put it back on and it will start and run but only on full choke...it will idle with the choke open but soon as I open the throttle it dies if I don't open the choke first...got too dark outside and since I don't have a shop to work in guess I'll tinker with it some more in the morning. 

11 hours ago, clueless said:

Love the saddle tank;)

Lol ain't that thing just beautiful. Not sure why it's on there I poured some gas in it and found a pinhole in the bottom of it. Haven't had time to figure out what's wrong with the factory tank in the rear...I just pulled the tank off my 1277 with the blown engine to try and get it running tonight 

ClassicTractorProfessor

Couple better pics after I got her loaded up and brought home 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

RedRanger

I had a 111 about 20 years ago.  What a gutless mower that was.

oldredrider

Let me guess. ..transmission problem.

RedRanger
6 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Let me guess. ..transmission problem.

No trans problems.  It had a 3 speed in it.  Shifted fine.

The tractor was just way underpowered.  Had a Briggs vertical shaft and ran ok, just no power.  Rated 11HP, but felt like 5HP.  Had a 38inch deck, I think, and it would bog if cutting thick grass or when cutting any more than an inch off.

I had a rear bagger for it, but it didn't really have enough power to blow the grass all the way up the shoot.

It was one step above push mowing though.  

I inherited it from my grandfather when he passed.  I don't know how he did it, but he mowed 5 acres with it every week...a little bit each day.

oldredrider

I was thinking the L111. John Deere model numbers are confusing to me. They don't make sense like the Horses do!

ClassicTractorProfessor

tinkered on the old Deere some more...think I've got an ignition problem rather than a fuel problem...have absolutely no spark to the right hand cylinder...going to order a coil in the near future and go from there 

T-Mo

The 116 was made from 1982 to 1985 and came in either 5 speed Peerless gear drive or an Eaton hydrostatic drive.  They were part of the 108, 111, and 112L lines of lawn tractors.  They were good little mowers for that time period.  They're not very collectible and most Deere guys would just pass over them without hesitation.  They're not the true garden tractors that Deere guys want.

As for the 111 lacking power, I had one and it had plenty of power for mowing.  I'm not sure if you had a new one or picked up an used one, but if running right, they had plenty of power for the job they were intended for, mowing or minor snow removal.  They were not design to handle ground engaging implements.

petes

I feel your pain. Picking this up tomorrow.:banana-wrench: A guilty pleasure.

IMG_20160626_143850007.jpg

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
2 hours ago, petes said:

I feel your pain. Picking this up tomorrow.:banana-wrench: A guilty pleasure.

IMG_20160626_143850007.jpg

Hope I don't get ran off for saying this :text-lol:, but I will admit I do like the older John Deere machines as well :hide:, never have owned an older model like that so not sure how well they are built but when fixed up they are some beautiful machines...good luck with your project 

petes

It was the next tractor on my list, and yes I'm looking over my shoulder when I say that:-o:hide: Good luck with yours too. 

T-Mo

That's a 1966 112.  '66s had bolted on foot rests while '67s had welded on foot rests.  I have a few of the RF JDs.  I have two now, a '65 110 and a '66 110.  I gave my '67 112 to my nephew who just loves it.  If you need any manuals pm me with your email address and I can send you some.  I have the operator's manual and a few other manuals.  You can find the service manual here:  http://www.wfmfiles.com/download/manuals/SM2059 (Apr-67).pdf

ClassicTractorProfessor
13 hours ago, petes said:

It was the next tractor on my list, and yes I'm looking over my shoulder when I say that:-o:hide: Good luck with yours too. 

Thanks, I don't imagine it will hang around too long...soon as I get it running right and cleaned up it will probably get sold to finance maybe another Horse or the new engine build for my 1277.