Lane Huls

877 Spark after letting off key?

Lane Huls

Ran onto my trailer, get home and I won't start. Has fuel, only sparks after I let off the key?

squonk

First thing I would check is the ign. switch.

953 nut

Presuming the electrical system on your 877 has not been altered you should have 12 volts going to the + terminal of the ignition coil when you are in the start position and the run position. Check it out and see what you have. here is a manual with wiring diagram for you.

Lane Huls

Tester is currently in my broken down car not with me. It was started several times in front of me. The wiring has all been replaced. So altered is my retry much a yes. Turning over I have no spark. But the second I let off I have spark til it stops turning.

squonk

I'm thinking the contact of your switch in the start posistion is shot. Being a starter/gen model, if there is no starter solenoid on the tractor to handle the load that contact would take lots of abuse.

Lane Huls

Just tested a confirmed good switch. Same deal. The switch in it looks brand new.  Only have 3 wires though. S L B, all connected well.

Lane Ranger

I had to  clean the gunk, paint and corrosion off the A terminal on the Starter/Generator of my 701 today to get a  complete hot wire connection to start the tractor.    I was surprised  but  pleased to find the  solution!   A check light  should help.

• Like 2

Lane Huls

One of those terminals was loose, but I tightened it up. I'll clean up some.

• Like 2

Lane Huls

To revisit this, I ran the coil wire from the switch straight to the battery and I have spark like I should! The real question now is I tried 2 confirmed good switches. 1 new even, along with the old one. None of them are getting 12v to the coil while cranking. What gives? :think: