crop grower

Main 30 amp fuse blowing

crop grower

Found the Red Square Forum a short time ago and just signed up.  I need a bit of assistance. My 1996 520 Hydro keeps blowing the 30 amp (main) fuse. Something is over working or shorting out I suspect. If you have some ideas on where to start that would be helpful. Going to pull the plugs and check them first  and then the seat shut off switch contacts.  Where do I find the  Crankcase Breather as well?

953 nut

:WRS:  When searching for a short it is best to replace the fuse with a test light across the fuse holder. As long as the short is there the light will glow brightly, when you clear it the light will go out.  

This wiring diagram will help.

• Like 1

crop grower

I was just looking at the fuse box and unbolted the block so I could see the bottom and wire color.  I misspoke and it is the 25 amp fuse not the 30 amp.  It has just the single red wire coming from the bottom of that fuse location.  Thanks 953 nut for the wiring diagram. It will be usable.

Thank you as well for your service to this Country!

• Like 1

cheesegrader

Wet grass gets into the bottom of the fuse block, and can cause shorts.

I have had to remove the block from most of my 520's, and replace it with three sealed, individual fuse holders.

This has solved almost all of my electrical problems on those machines.

• Like 1

Cable

My experience has been that it is the 30 amp fuse that goes.  The block generally melts.  The block has four positions with three being utilized.  You can move the 30 amp fuse to the vacant slot with only minor work.  One side of both the 25 and 30 amp fuse are wired together.  Jumper from that wire to the same side in the unused fuse position with a new contact and relocate the single wire from the 30 amp position the the other side of the unused fuse position.  A new contact is needed for both sides.

Once you get it working I recommend using one of Glenn Pettit's covers for the fuse block.  It keeps grass, dust, and liquid water out.