Newbie100

Koehler 12 magnum fuel problems

Newbie100

I now have my wheelhorse turning over and it will run great if I take and squirt gas into the carb out of a water bottle. Take away the gas in squeezing in and it shuts off. The fuel pump is pumping good. I'm guessing carburetor. Any suggestions? 

MalMac

That's where I would start, you probably got a gunked up carb and fuel bowl. 

Newbie100

I took and cleaned it the best I could inside and out. Gonna order a rebuild kit now

MalMac

Make sure your float is good allowing fuel to get in. If you got good fuel flow coming from the pump and you checked your plug and its dry, then carbs blocked off or may have a closed intake valve. With are junk gas now a days it's probably the carb.

• Like 1

Newbie100

Well got the carb rebuilt. Had a few bad plugs and other junk in their. But she runs like a champ now. The only problem is the settings on it need some tweaking. It doesn't have enough rpms to run at low idle and not enough rpms it seems like at full throttle either

MalMac

After you get your carb settings right and still have rpm problems, you might want to check governor settings. I would get a service manual if you don't have one. You can download it from Kohler or here on Red Square. Word of caution, when you go messing around with gov. Settings, it's best to have a hand held tachometer for safety's sake.

• Like 1