TDF5G

When you gotta mow, you gotta mow!

TDF5G

We've got a lot of rain here the past few springs and early summers.  I don't like to mow when it's wet but sometimes I just have to.  I'm still working and I just have to mow when I get the chance.  It makes a lot more work cleaning up the :wh: afterwards.  The wet and muddy pic are from a couple of weeks ago.  

The pic of me on the B-80, my young 'un took.  I'm trying out an extra 36" SD deck that I've never used.  Been using 36" RD deck for 22 years.  That was a different experience I must say.  Had to do some thinking ahead when mowing around things.  The RD deck is undergoing some repairs.

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG

IMG_3163.JPG

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 9

elcamino/wheelhorse

We have had more rain in the past two weeks then  the entire month of April. I can't keep up with the yard. Looks like a hay field. Looks like your B-80 is moving along still. It is hard getting use to a SD deck after a RD deck. I like the RD's better. Your yard looks nice.

• Like 1

TDF5G
Just now, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

We have had more rain in the past two weeks then  the entire month of April. I can't keep up with the yard. Looks like a hay field. Looks like your B-80 is moving along still. It is hard getting use to a SD deck after a RD deck. I like the RD's better. Your yard looks nice.

Thanks.  It's been raining about every other day here recently.  I put some Scott's weed and feed on the yard about 4 weeks ago, which I've not done for several years and it's hard to keep up with.  I enjoy the seat time, but I just don't have the time to do it just any time.  :wacko:

farmer

I agree cutting wet grass is no fun, looks a right mess but it has to be done. But if you leave it two, three weeks - uugh doesn't do to think about. :(

• Like 2

TDF5G
1 minute ago, farmer said:

I agree cutting wet grass is no fun, looks a right mess but it has to be done. But if you leave it two, three weeks - uugh doesn't do to think about. :(

Yes.  I couldn't do that.  I'd be in trouble.  Couldn't cut it.  I'd have to buy a sickle bar attachment. 

• Like 1

DougC

Just cut mine at 8:30am today. Wet clumps and looked terrible. We had thunderstorms forecast to arrive by noon so I got it done. I then used the weed eater while the sun dried out the mess I had created. At 11:00 am I put the 44 inch lawn sweeper on and swept up the grass ( I have a country yard so mostly weeds and clover...) By noon the thunder was rumbling and the western sky was getting dark. I had the clippings all dumped at the side of the garden, equipment back inside the garage and was walking toward the house looking forward to a hot cup of coffee and watching Gun Smoke on metv as the raindrops began to fall.  I agree......... When yo gotta mow, you gotta mow!    :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ztnoo

I consciously and purposely refuse to mow when its wet.

It just creates too many problems........in both the yard and with the machinery.

But.......I'm retired, more or less, and I can pick and choose my times to mow.

Here in north central Indiana, we typically have dew in the mornings in the spring......and quite often most of the summer...and quite often heavy dew...that can almost soak your boots....unless we have a summer like 2012 when we had 60+ days of 90+ degree temps with no rain.

You could have mowed at 6 am........but there was nothing to mow that year.

I went 8-10 weeks without even starting the tractor to mow.

It's been raining here a lot recently and has the row crop farmers completely stalled out field work wise.

They are as nervous as whores in church........they wanna plant.......but they can't........conditions aren't right......

To fulfill their insatiable appetite to get something done and feel productive, they are mowing whether its wet or not, because once they can really "hit it" in the fields, it may be a month before they can mow the side ditches again.

I mowed after 3 pm today and used the sweeper to clean up my hay field yard.

Its suppose to rain again tonight and tomorrow, and again Monday night, Tuesday, and Tuesday night.

Spring in Indiana......but a little on the cool side.

Forecast says low of 37 tomorrow (Sat.) night.

C'est la vie............

• Like 3

Wishin4a416

I hate to mow wet too but like you, have to do it when I can. We mowed this evening and my machines look like yours. Rain again tomorrow,

• Like 2

KC9KAS

I have recorded just a little over 3" of rain in May......and it's not even 1/2 over!

• Like 2

DougC

Wet grass gives me a good excuse to wash my :wh:'s      :lol:

• Like 1

Marv

I have been having the same problem. WET. I hate to mow when it is wet. Hard on grass and machine. Got rained out while mowing.

Marvin

• Like 1

TDF5G

I've heard that wet grass will dull the blades quicker.  And that you should cut with the deck higher to prevent getting clogged up.

WHX??

I've heard that some guys were cutting this last weekend when it was freaking snowing.... I know I was!!

• Like 1

TDF5G
7 minutes ago, WHX61/3 said:

I've heard that some guys were cutting this last weekend when it was freaking snowing.... I know I was!!

Now that's something I've never done.   I've finished up mowing when it began to rain a couple times, but never mowed in the snow!

WHX??

Really TDF it was....  just read another thread a member in PA was doing it too!! Grass was up to my ear balls whadda ya gonna do??  And to think I chew my wife's butt when she cuts with dew on the grass yet! I have deck wash connections on my mowers so that helps with getting the wet clumpy grass out when done. If it drys on the underside dang near gotta near chisel it off. Don't wanna mow it hard and put it away wet thats fer sure! :lol:

• Like 1

TDF5G
2 minutes ago, WHX61/3 said:

If it drys on the underside dang near gotta near chisel it off. Don't wanna mow it hard and put it away wet thats fer sure! :lol:

That's right!  I've got to where I pull the deck and hose it out after every mow in the spring when it's wet.  Lot's of work.

WHX??

Get your self some quick connect deck wash fittings...eliminates the hassles of having to pull the deck.

I'll get a few pics of mine tonite

Edited by WHX61/3
  • Like 1

TDF5G
21 minutes ago, WHX61/3 said:

Get your self some quick connect deck wash fittings...eliminates the hassles of having to pull the deck.

I'll get a few pics of mine tonite

I leave the deck standing up to dry though, so the water runs off the top of it.