Justy37

rear 953 wheels

Justy37

Some of you may know me from mytractorforum.

Anyways, I bought my 953 (Serial# 34250)a couple years ago with a very tired briggs model 19 engine in it. Bought it from a older feller that wore out the kohler, so he replaced that engine with a briggs. When I bought it, the briggs was pretty much dead. More work than worth it, and finding a new carb. 

So I have upgraded it with a predator 420cc, and it sure moves snow. But, I do not like the rear tires that came with it. Wide car tires, so one day not long ago. I saw a price for some 5.00-15 superlug tires I could not pass up. So I bought them and they showed up today. So I took one wheel off the 953, and pulled the car tire off. Only to find out, the wheels are 7" wide between the lips/bead of the rim.

I am thinking, my tires will not work on them. I read somewhere that, 1054 wheels are 4.5" wide. Mine are 7" wide and I have the inside wheel weights also. Too me, they appear to be the original wheels. But I don't know, if they not the originals. Wonder what that old feller did to ruin them.

I could buy some inner tubes are try to fit a 5" tire on a 7" rim, I dunno. Kinda pee'd about not being able to use them.

IMG_20150413_155258_319_zps1czffghl.jpg

Edited by Justy37
  • Like 1

Aldon

I think they came with 7 inch rims. Same as 1054 and GT14.

The only AG tires are 6.5's noted in thread "Rear Tire/Wheel Options for a GT-14 - Wheel Horse Tractors - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum" Pic of tractor with them in that thread as well.

Carlisle makes a turf tire that fits. One inch wider. Adds a half inch width to both sides. They are pricy though. I have a set on my GT14 restomod which I hope to have completely assembled for the show in June.

Otherwise you will likely have to change hubs or drill out the hubs you have to match older style Chevy truck rims. Then with wider rim there are some other AG options.

stevebo

I would love to see the 5x15 ags you bought. I have been looking myself.

• Like 1

Justy37

It's a bit comical but here is a couple pictures of 5.00-15 on a 953 rim.

Debating if I should get some inner tubes and see if I can get them to fit. The car tires, were tube-less.

IMG_20160510_222213_zpswb4snql5.jpg

IMG_20160510_222223_zpszkyj8umv.jpg

Edited by Justy37
  • Like 1

Justy37

I've decided to ship them back. They will be just strange looking.

• Like 1

857 horse

Wow,,,,,,,,,,,,Justy,,,that is one nice garage floor you have there....:banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench::greetings-clappingyellow::banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench:

pacer

Try these 7.6x15 from stop&go for $88. I believe they will fit pretty well tho they are close on a 1054 & 953

https://www.stopandgotires.com/tire/industrial/industrial?sku=FA5J1&name=American%20Farmer%20Traction%20Implement%20I-3

This is them on my D-160 - theyre nice tires for a very good price

IMG_3372.JPG

• Like 3

Justy37

Yeah that's my next plan is to order some 760-15. I can see 500-15 only working if a person came across some narrow rims. Like rims for a trailer, but 4 lug one's.

Edited by Justy37

TDF5G
13 hours ago, Justy37 said:

I've decided to ship them back. They will be just strange looking.

I'm glad to hear that.   It could be dangerous to try and inflate those.

Edited by TDF5G

Shynon

Looks like you have some GT 14 rims on  you 953. Even if you have the correct rims I think that tire would look awfully small. I have Goodyear 6.7-15 ag tires from a dealer in Hutchinson Mn. Little pricey, but if you got to have them you got to have them.

IMG_5888.JPG

IMG_5887.JPG

IMG_5890.JPG

Edited by Shynon
add pictures
  • Like 4

ericj

could go with a used set of mud and snow tires from a suv or a truck, other wise I would go with the wider ag tires, good luck

eric j