Sign in to follow this  
George

1973 14hp 8speed tractor bogs down

George

I am trouble shooting a tractor that bogs down under load. And it will over rev when the load is removed and I have to adjust the throttle to control the engine speed.

It seems to me that the governor is not working. But as I look at it I can't understand how it could have ever worked. There is no governor spring in the throttle control linkage. There is a wire link connected where I would think there should be a spring. It appears to be oem and not something homemade that someone stuck in there as a temporary fix. Has anyone else seen a connection like this? Can ya look at the pic and tell me what you think. I'm thinking that I will replace the link with a spring to see have it works that way. Thanks for any input you may have

George

Dallastown, PA

000_0015.jpg

Rideawaysenior

That is certainly not OEM. There should be a spring connecting that throttle linkage to the gov arm.

George

Thanks, that my thoughts also. What confuses me is I have used this tractor for years and this problem just started this summer. It is a deer camp mower and maybe someone else thought they would cut grass for me and had to make a repair. I wish they would tell me, it would have saved some head scratching.

Again thanks for the quick reply. I will replace it with a new spring.

George

Dallastown, Pa

evanloock

The spring is a small coil spring located between the bottom of the governor arm and the other linkage arm with the multiple holes in it. Looks like someone replaced it with a wire. Enter your model and spec number at rcpw.com or partstree.com to see the correct spring for your engine.

TT

:hide: , George!

Looks like you've been here for a while - but you must have been reading. :D

Just a suggestion.....

When you remove the solid link to replace it with the spring, pop the "E" clip off the governor arm to throttle linkage and see how far the governor arm will move. (don't force it though) I have seen this type of "repair" used to compensate for a broken tab on the governor cross shaft and hope that's not the case with your engine.

George

Thanks guys. I did look up the spring and ordered one from my local dealer Thanks for the websites names.

Terry, Yes I have been a member for awhile but had to stop spending all my time and money on my tractors. The wife was getting a little jealous of them. So I backed off for awhile.

Like I said in my first post about the link. It looks factory made not just a peice of wire. So I think that it was a dealer fix but don't know who or why it was done. I disconnected the link like you mentioned and the crosshaft seems to move ok. It rotates cw freely and ccw until it hits an internal stop.

I'll hook up the new spring when I get it and give you an update. Thanks.

George

I replaced the wire link with a spring today. The governor seems to work okay. I do not know why someone replaced the spring. The tractor seemed a little slow and lacking in power but it is very cold today and I only ran it for a few minutes. I will test it again in a few days when it warms up. Thanks for the advise. I hope Santa is good to you this year.

KyBlue

Glad its gettin better for ya!! Might need to tweak a bit on the Carb to remove the sluggishness

WheelHorse_of_course

You also need to flip over the linkage ender the Coil, so that the throttle cable has a straight shot. Straighten the wire first.

Glad you got this sorted out :hide:

Enjoy the holidays