illinilefttackle

USED BELTS

illinilefttackle

Hello Guys- Everyone has a bunch of used Belts for your machinery hanging around right? I know in my case I do- some of them have all the numbers worn off- Is there a neat way of telling how long they are? I know lay them in a circle on the floor & measure the Diameter & use geometry & algebra to figure out the circumfrence- I can do that, but I would pass on to the other side before I got them all figured out. Any Tricks? Thanks- Al

rjg854

Just roll it along a regular measuring tape and you'll have your length. Be sure to stop at the same place you started.

• Like 2

Cheetah

I picked up a belt measurer from mfgsupply.com

It was the one that looks like a yardstick with a sliding 1/2 "pulley". 

Measures actual length and also tells you the "A" and "B" size as well.

Cost about $30, which considering how often I have used it since I bought it, has been well worth it 

• Like 4

daveoman1966

I use a CLOTH base measuring tape that a seamstress or tailor might use to size your up for a suit.  Clamp it to the belt with a little alligator clip and draw it along the belt OD.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Just fueling the fire, but I have heard some belt measurements are inside, and some outside....

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

some belt measurements are inside, and some outside

Yes, a "4L-890 will be 89" OD and can be replaced by an "A87" and a 5L-890 is the same as a "B87". Don't ask me why or who came up with that idea. Lots of manufacturers have "propitiatory" belt sizes like 89 1/2" so that you feel obligated to buy their overpriced belt; just go to the next smaller whole number regular belt and you will be fine.

• Like 2