Horseplay82

Starter/generator bad?

Horseplay82

I got my 1968 commando 8 running with my booster pack have and as soon as i took the leads off the engine died, what could be my problem?

"D"- Man

I would assume you that you opted to use the booster pack to start the engine, because the battery was either too low or dead.  If so, this could be because the starter / generator was not putting out any current to recharge the battery.  If the s/g is working correctly I think it should be able to power the spark + {while the battery is disconnected,} if it can't it may need serviced or replaced.

953 nut

If the battery is bad, the S/G may not be able to provide 12 volts to the ignition, or you could have bad or corroded cables or terminals that prevent the voltage from getting to the coil. Have the battery load tested and clean and tighten all electrical connections.

• Like 3

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

If the battery is really shot it may be drawing off so much current there isn't enough left to get 12v at the coil.  Also the connection of the green wire to the battery +  may be bad.  Current from the genny  (Green wire)has to get to the ignition switch.

wire.JPG

Edited by pfrederi

Horseplay82

My green wire going to the pos terminal cable to the batter came out just now 

I wonder if that my problem

pfrederi
18 hours ago, Horseplay82 said:

My green wire going to the pos terminal cable to the batter came out just now 

I wonder if that my problem

Could be certainly wouldn't help things.  Have you charged up the battery, or tested it, or swapped it with another one?.  A really dead battery will cause problems even if the green wire is connected.

Horseplay82

I had it running yesterday with a battery in it  and it seemed to me like when the battery got low enough it would quit and not fire back up but yet would still turn over

Are there rebuild kits available for the Delco Remy starter generator?

gwest_ca

Here is a manual that includes the starter/generator

High resolution copy

Lower resolution

Have never seen a kit available but brushes and bushings or bearings is about all that should be required. An old established automotive electrical shop if they still exist would be my first stop.

Garry