MWR

No Wheelhorses in this video. But I'm working on it.

MWR

Thought you guys might like a good tree cutting video.  (And Mods - it won't hurt my feelings if this is moved to another forum.  I plan on getting my GT-14 into the thick of things a little later on.)

After a hard day at the print shop, setting up invitations and printing all kinds of stuff, what better way to relax than to go out and cut down a big tree.

This big beech was hollow, and had little or no lumber in it, so all it was doing was taking up space and keeping sunlight off the smaller trees that could someday make something.

Here's a few things you may need to know about beech trees.  They are heavy.  They make really good firewood.  They don't have much flexibility in them, they are bad to snap instead of bend.

And cutting hollow trees is a dangerous thing, you never know what they will do.

After I made the notch, I started cutting on the lower side to make it fall like I wanted.  After some cutting, sad to say, but I chickened out and moved to the upper side.  The tree started getting crack in it where I was sawing and I liked my chances better on the high side.  You can see where the lower side was not cut enough and pulled the tree down the hill. 

When the tree hit the ground, it broke in two about 2/3 the way up the tree.

But it all worked out to the good.

• Like 1

Sparky

Nice...the best part was the slo-mo tree falling!

Mike....

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

After seeing your videos , I think I better inspect a couple of the big trees in my yard. You shoot some great videos.

• Like 1

MWR

At about the 3:30 mark you can see where I filmed the log rolling video.  :)

I was at work all day and didn't realize it had rained that much early in the day at the house.  The road that I had worked with the GT-14 did like all fresh dirt that gets wet, it got slick.  On dry ground, the Case would have pulled the whole log, but all it would do here was spin.  And as some may have noticed, my choker cable was much to long.  I needed to be hooked closer to pull that whole log.

But at least I got one tractor in this video.  The Case 730 made an appearance.

stevasaurus

Makes me feel like I am there.  Really cool...thanks for taking us with you.  :)

• Like 1

roadapples

That hollow tree may have been someone`s home...:ychain:

• Like 1

MWR

Might have been a condominium.

And to all you young Wheelhorsers out there, I hope you are all able to saw down big trees when you are 60.  :)