scoob8000

Deck off-set to side?

scoob8000

Just picked up this 416-H the other day.   I had the deck off to sharpen the blades but something doesn't seem right now that I have it back on.

Does this look right to you?   The left hand gauge wheel is really close to the rear tire and actually contacts the tire chain occasionally.

Also, should the front anti scalp wheels be touching the ground?  On my garage floor with the deck down I have a good 3/4" gap between the wheels and the floor.

And any idea what the small chain hanging from the right hand foot rest is for?  (I do have a power bagger with it for what it's worth).

Left side:

vzX7hZql.jpg

Right side:

EZJmZZ9l.jpg

Anti scalp wheels

MXyOczrl.jpg

Small chain on RH foot rest.

ma5xSz3l.jpg

• Like 1

TDF5G

If the deck isn't riding square under the tractor, something's not right.  From the looks of it in your pics, I'd check to see if it is attached evenly and properly from side to side. Or possibly something is bent. 

The front wheels of the deck shouldn't touch the ground sitting on a level surface.  The level adjustment is explained in the mower deck owner's manual.  

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:            Click on this and download it, lots of great instructions with illustrations on deck mounting.

Hope this is helpful.

• Like 3

MalMac

The chain attaches to the deck to help support the deck when the blower is attached. 

• Like 1

can whlvr

do you have the fork on the lift bar on the deck in the right spot,it goes up against the rod in the mid attackmatic,sure looks like it isnt

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
49 minutes ago, can whlvr said:

do you have the fork on the lift bar on the deck in the right spot,it goes up against the rod in the mid attackmatic,sure looks like it isn't

:text-yeahthat:   I agree with Don....that second picture shows the deck support is not in the attach-a-matic properly.

It may not even be in the left side of the attach-a-matic.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

scoob8000

Thanks for the replies and welcomes.   Seems like this place is a great resource for a new WH owner like myself.

Now I'm itching to go home and take a look again at how I had it attached.   It's hooked on both sides, and the fork part I have facing with the "U" part up and against the round bar that runs between the attachamatic points.    (At least I think.  LOL)

Malmac,

That would explain the chain.   If I don't plan on running the blower, would it be advisable to remove the weight on the opposite side of the deck?

Thanks!

• Like 1

farmer

Hello Scoob and :text-welcomeconfetti: to the home of :wh:. I used to have the same set up as you, if you don't intend to use the bagger, the weight (countering the blower unit) and the chain can be removed. The chain would have had a relatively short strong tension Spring linking it to the deck to help carry the extra weight.  :coffee:

Ps had an extra thought, if you don't use the bagger take off all the black painted hardware relating to it from the deck (not including the belt cover) as this will help with balance and grass flow. 

Edited by farmer
  • Like 2

cleat

Make sure the deck hitch is centered properly in the tach-a-matic. The hitch gets worn and the guides on it then do not hold it centered properly.

I have made up a new hitch as shown in the picture, I don't have a picture of a worn one.

Deck hitch painted 1.jpg

The 42" deck will be a tight fit on these machines, the 48" has much more room due to the wheels being spaced out further.

• Like 3

scoob8000

Mine is a 42" FWIW.  I did notice on that bar there is a bit of wear on mine.   It actually looks like someone may have even put sleeves on over the wear points.

3 hours ago, cleat said:

Make sure the deck hitch is centered properly in the tach-a-matic. The hitch gets worn and the guides on it then do not hold it centered properly.

I have made up a new hitch as shown in the picture, I don't have a picture of a worn one.

The 42" deck will be a tight fit on these machines, the 48" has much more room due to the wheels being spaced out further.

cleat

Just make sure these sleeves or spacers are between the tach-a-matic side plates.

The latch actually hooks onto the larger sleeve and the notches in the side should then stop the hitch from moving from side to side as the sleeve should not fit through.

• Like 1

cleat

Just make sure these sleeves or spacers are between the tach-a-matic side plates.

The latch actually hooks onto the larger sleeve and the notches in the side should then stop the hitch from moving from side to side as the sleeve should not fit through.

As for the hanging chain, a spring goes between that and the shaft on the deck for the rear wheels to help balance the deck when the bagger blower is installed.

I see a guard of some sort on the left side of your deck, never saw that on a deck before.

bobert94

The black on the left of the deck is apparently the weight? never seen one before is it a WH item?

TDF5G
30 minutes ago, bobert94 said:

The black on the left of the deck is apparently the weight? never seen one before is it a WH item?

Never seen one either.  If that's a weight to counterbalance the deck for the bagger attachment, you probably should remove it for better mower deck performance I would think. 

• Like 1

scoob8000

So I crawled around under the tractor last night and tried it out.   I think I have it on properly in the attachamatic..

So I took it out for some quick mowing.   I think I might have to read up on the front to back height adjustment.   Anything less than the highest gauge wheel setting scalps pretty good.   I'm also getting an ungodly amount of dust/leaves blowing out from under the front of the deck.   I'm thinking the front of the deck needs to be a touch lower than the rear.   (Made sure the blades are facing the right way too LOL)

Fe52KnUl.jpg

• Like 1

cleat

Wheel Horse decks do seem to cut low.

The 42" does also seem to throw more out the front than others. That causes me grief with the Onan powered machines picking that up in the engine.

48" deck for some reason does not do that as bad. Still will scalp on lower settings though.

• Like 1

farmer

As well as making sure the blades are rotating in the correct direction, be sure they're not on upside down, down draft = clippings blowing out the front..... Don't laugh.. I read someone made this boo boo on RS. :lol:

Did the deck track and cut ok before you took it off? If so the fault lies with you, if not it could be a deck carriage/ fore-aft level, adjustment / repair.    :coffee:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

It looks like the centering sleeve on the support bar is too far to the right . The sleeve should be inside the attach-a-matic on each side.

• Like 2

cleat

The sleeves go inside the side plates but the hooks on the  attach-a-matic  go on the sleeves.

Looks OK but is the other side the same ?

All framework on the deck connected and straight ?

TDF5G
58 minutes ago, cleat said:

The sleeves go inside the side plates but the hooks on the  attach-a-matic  go on the sleeves.

Looks OK but is the other side the same ?

All framework on the deck connected and straight ?

:text-yeahthat:  Looks to me like it needs to be shoved over a little bit to the left side of the tractor.

lynnmor

I got my second WH from a guy that hated how poorly it mowed.  When I mounted it correctly in the hitch, put the belt in the right groove,  turned the transport adjustment many turns and then leveled the deck, I got a great deal.

• Like 2

scoob8000

I'm beginning to think my deck is bent or tweaked somehow.  I cannot get it to track straight.   Looking at all the wear points on the bars, I'm putting it on exactly as it always was.    I replaced those gauge wheels that were all chewed up, and now see why the LH side was so chewed up.   It's rubbing on the back tire and getting caught on the tire chain.

I also noticed with the gauge wheels to their highest setting if I use the hydro to raise the deck it will bind and get stuck in the up postion.     

I'm banging my head on this one, nothing looks obviously bent.   The attachamatic brackets are loose on the frame, but the nuts have nylon locknuts, so I assume this is intentional.

JLwtUoD.jpg

• Like 1

cleat

Brackets should be tight and even. That might be part of your problem

Square them up to each other and to the frame tighten securely and see if that helps.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Is that a large crack lead leading from under the right side (left on your pic) belt guard.?   If that is a crack that is separated that far, I agree, the deck is twisted.

Do the blade tips line up at the same elevation when they are overlapped?

The two lift studs are missing in the both front brackets.   This probably prevents  the deck from lifting evenly and may have contributed to the twisting of the deck.

I see stress cracks radiating from  the right front support and the center pulley

• Like 1

scoob8000
26 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Is that a large crack lead leading from under the right side (left on your pic) belt guard.?   If that is a crack that is separated that far, I agree, the deck is twisted.

Do the blade tips line up at the same elevation when they are overlapped?

The two lift studs are missing in the both front brackets.   This probably prevents  the deck from lifting evenly and may have contributed to the twisting of the deck.

I see stress cracks radiating from  the right front support and the center pulley

The large crack looking thing towards the left (in pic) guard is the black paint peeling off the guard.  It has a skinny triangular leg that extends towards the center of the deck.

I'm at work looking at the original photo on my phone.   The line by the center pulley I think is a blade of grass.   However the one by the front bracket on the right (in photo) sure as hell looks like a crack.  I didn't notice that.  I just texted my wife to run up to the garage and check for me.  

Cleat,  Glad I asked that then.  I'll square and tighten them up, that should help a good bit.  I'm also going to get that weight off the deck since I don't plan on running the blower any time soon.   That can't be helping matters any..

You guys are great, glad I found this place!

• Like 1