New wheel

520 h- 1988

New wheel

My seat pan has a lot of flex in it,side to side. With chains on and my weight to one side Chain rubs fender.  What's the problem/fix?  Thanks

Tankman

Pic's? What size tires are you using? :wwp:

ericj

the frame breaks right in front of the fender pan on the 300,400, and 500 series tractors. I've welded washers on to reinforce the holes where the cross brace bolts on to the hood stand frame. other have found this problem and come up with repairs that might be able to show some pictures of the repair, good luck

eric j 

shallowwatersailor

Wheel Horse use to sell a stiffening plate for this. I can't recall the thickness of it though.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

cheesegrader

One of the tractors that I bought had a couple of 2X4 pieces cut to fit under the pan and on top of the fuel tank.

Probably not the best long term solution, but it was cheap and simple.  It kept the pan from flexing

There isn't much clearance for chains, especially if you are using v-bars.

They should fit if everything is stock.

If the rear tires are a little bigger, or set a little wider, or if the pan is bent down a little bit, you are going to rub.

Don1977

I raised the seat bracket the gas tank and the fender pan 1 3/4" to clear 25x900x12 Carlisle All Trails. If you look close I added 1/8"x 1 1/2" steel flat between the shifter plate and the hood stand as both side were broken at the fender mount. They are just bolted in place with the shiftier plate I plan to weld them if I ever take it back apart. I also added 1/8" x 1 1/2" across to help stiffen it, it's on top as I was raising every thing up.

SAM_0459.jpg

SAM_0458.jpg

SAM_0490.jpg

I also added a few braces at some other points as this is my dirt machine. You can also see the 3/8" rod I spot welded under the outside edge of the foot pads as the were warped and gave every time I stepped on them.

SAM_0460.jpg

SAM_0483.jpg

SAM_0514.jpg

Edited by Don1977
  • Like 4

c-series don

Can someone tell me more about this stiffening plate that shallow water sailor mentioned? I literally was just about to go work on the broken mount on my GT-1800 Work Horse when I sat down to take a five minute break between jobs! Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

New wheel

Eric right on the money. I forgot it was broke when I put the tractor together a few flat washers worked for a few years but they gave up the ghost so I'll be fabricating a different piece thanks all for your comments might think about raising a little bit like the picture show