Xearl

snow thrower bearings

Xearl

2 stage Mod. 79-366  I got the new auger bearings today and I don't know if I should pack them with grease . They look more like bushings to me .  It would be nice if I could convert the setup to sealed ball bearings . Just a though . 

• Like 2

wallfish

They ARE just bushings. And expensive ones at that!

Horsefixer did a thread a while back and I think this was the bearing that fit. You just need to measure the available space between the side plate and the auger and then compare to the specs for the bearing.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Bearings/Flange-Mount-Bearings/3-4-4-BOLT-FLANGE-BEARING-1-204-12-4.axd

You'll need to drill some holes but should make a nice upgrade. I bought those Toro bushings a couple years ago and they are already getting worn but probably good for a couple more years if the winters are like this past one. Once they go again, I'll upgrade to the flange ball bearing.

• Like 3

Retired Sparky

I just replaced the bearing on the roller chain side on my single stage. It over $75.00

JAinVA

I know this won't help 2 stage owners ,but I replaced the 3/4" bearings on my single stage with ones from Primebearing for $13.35 ea delivered. The square hole needed to be

elongated  about an 1/8" out board .Hacksaw and file.Once done these parts can be reused and only the bearing needs to be replaced.These were sourced from E-bay and

may not last as long as oem but for the price you can afford to have many on hand.JAinVA

• Like 3

Xearl

The flange bearings are nice but I have the stock replacement ones already .  What I need to know is if I have to pack  grease in these when I put it together . We did not have enough snow to use a snow blower this if it stays this way the bushings will last years .

• Like 1

JAinVA

I don't have a two stage but based on the parts manual I would think you should grease the inner surface of the bushing at assembly.The grease fittings on most flange

bearings help with alignment of the sealed bearing.If the bearings on a two stage are just bushings then I would think you need to grease them at assembly.What could it hurt.

JAinVA

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

I greased them but didn't try to pack them somehow. I will be checking out the conversion thread.

3 hours ago, JAinVA said:

The square hole needed to be

elongated  about an 1/8" out board .Hacksaw and file.

I bought a cheap square file at HF that makes quick work out of that.

• Like 2

JAinVA

I put them in the Bridgeport but tried to figure a way most would have to do the same thing,I may need to go to HF to get another square file.JAinVA

Retired Sparky

Wished I knew all this months ago. I changed the bearing in my blower in Nov. and I joined this forum in Jan.  I like the idea of having a bearing that you can

regrease.  

WNYPCRepair
6 hours ago, wallfish said:

They ARE just bushings. And expensive ones at that!

Horsefixer did a thread a while back and I think this was the bearing that fit. You just need to measure the available space between the side plate and the auger and then compare to the specs for the bearing.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Bearings/Flange-Mount-Bearings/3-4-4-BOLT-FLANGE-BEARING-1-204-12-4.axd

You'll need to drill some holes but should make a nice upgrade. I bought those Toro bushings a couple years ago and they are already getting worn but probably good for a couple more years if the winters are like this past one. Once they go again, I'll upgrade to the flange ball bearing.

If anyone finds that topic, can you post a link here? I would like to see it

Is this what you were thinking of? 

Edited by WNYPCRepair

wallfish
1 hour ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Is this what you were thinking of? 

That's not it but the same idea applies. Change that bushing to bearings

gwest_ca

I recall seeing a bushing surrounded by a wick material. I would think the bronze bushing is oil-lite (sp) which is porous and requires oil for lubrication. If it does not have a hole on the outside so one could add oil I would try to find a location that one could drill a hole in it so it could be regularly oiled. 120 volt AC electric motors have used these for bearings for years and a couple of drops of oil per year is all that is required.

Take an oil-lite bushing and place it on your thumb, fill it with oil. Now put your other thumb on the other end and keep squeezing the bushing between your thumbs. The pressure placed on the oil will force it through the bushing walls. 

Garry

• Like 1

Xearl

Your right Garry about the wick material . I think I might be able to drill and tap a hole in the flange and use a small allen head set screw to close it . I was contemplating a grease fitting but thought it might get knocked off due to the location . I bought some spray chain lube at Tractor Supply that I think would be right for this job . Thanks for the input . ED

gwest_ca

I would use SAE 20 motor oil. Anything thicker won't go through the pores in the bushing. It is hard to find in any quanity but 3-in-1 packages it in a small can as electric motor oil. That little bit should last forever. A small sheet metal screw would plug the hole if you can find room for it.

Garry

Xearl

Thanks for the advice . I look in my wife's sewing machine stuff before I go out and buy anything . I have some bushings so I think I'll try the  oil test with the chain lube for the hell of it . ED