tractorhogg

The Ignored and Unappreciated Mower Deck

tractorhogg

Not here on the forum, lots of pictures and concern with upkeep, but at tractor shows mower decks seem to be a rare implement. Looking through hundreds of photographs of  tractors at tractor shows I noticed very, very few tractors pictured with the deck installed. Are people embarrassed by the mower deck? Do people want others to see their machines as tractors and not lawn lowers? Is it psychological, or or aesthetic? I don't know and answers we give may not always reveal true reasons. I'm just glad a mower deck doesn't have feelings, otherwise we would need to make a facebook page or a gofundme page to show appreciation. My wife loves the deck, it keeps the brush down and the lawn mowed. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

DECKS...DECKS.....DECKS     I don't hide mine.56d7041a3ba8f_IMG_1904(640x480).jpg.1d6cIMG_5250.thumb.JPG.8297fc2e7a19ce5b1195bIMG_5252.thumb.JPG.a77c985395938dc897a1eIMG_3343.thumb.JPG.2bb9e784d3a0b87d53e62IMG_5201.thumb.JPG.a3c50f6ba547fdb906c1fIMG_5015.thumb.JPG.abec8f014f0c825299cd5

• Like 2

Tankman

Without a deck, wouldn't need a Herd. Guessing transport is easier for most without a deck; i.e.: show time!

That 60"  deck in Felton looks very nice! Are you using it?

Was recently rehabbing a deck, 48" SD. A freebie. Came with my '90 520-8.

Some of the older, square-ish, decks I fabricated using 316 SS.

Removed all from the deck and cut galvanized panels, reassembled the deck bolting my patches in place.

MIG. Stitch welded panels. Dissembled the deck for cleaning 'n painting.

Assembled deck again using SS hardware and Never-Seez on threads.

Pic shows just one step. A few more patches followed.

Deck_Rehab.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

RedRanger

I keep my deck on.

568b57533bcc6_043(2).thumb.jpg.ab79afdf0

• Like 8

slammer302

I agree that decks are under appreciated. When i go to look at a horse the deck is one of the first things i look at. I'm surprised how many horses i've sold were the person doesn't even try out the deck and some just don't want the deck at all   

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

So true Slammer.   I recently sold a plow assembly ,blade, frame, and axle bracket, to a guy who was installing  it on his neighbors 520.

When he called to arrange pick up, he said BTW,  he wants me to haul the deck to the scrap yard for him...do you want the 60" deck.  Yeah, sure, I'll pay you scrap price of $35 and maybe more after I see it.

The deck had good tight spindle bearings, no rust, and 90% original paint and decals and the good spring loaded mule drive came with it.  

It is in in pics above.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 4

tractorhogg

I know several people that toss the mower decks in the scrap heap. I just don't understand how they do not realize that a good deck adds value and usefulness to the tractor, whether it is on or not.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I have never sacrificed a usable or rebuildable mower deck for a Wheel Horse.   Don't alwasy take to shows but I have worked on a lot of different versions and bought plenty of blades, bearings paint and other parts to keep them going.   Sold many too !

102_0291.JPG

338.JPG

306.JPG

277.JPG

img_0296.jpg

008.JPG

001.JPG

Lanes I Phone Pics 10-29-15 070.JPG

029.JPG

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

All I know is the awkward to handle and heavy especially 48". As a collector I usually stick the in corner some where and forget about them.

tractorhogg

The deck may be one of your most valuable pieces in the collection as fewer and fewer of them are around, This was my point in the post

• Like 5

new2horses

My work horses, have decks under them, for the most part. The 1045 has cultivators ,the RJ-58 has a tiller and the 633 has a mid mount blade.

However my "Show Ponies" never have decks, and some shows do not allow one to drive around their show grounds with a deck installed.

• Like 1

tractorhogg
30 minutes ago, new2horses said:

My work horses, have decks under them, for the most part. The 1045 has cultivators ,the RJ-58 has a tiller and the 633 has a mid mount blade.

However my "Show Ponies" never have decks, and some shows do not allow one to drive around their show grounds with a deck installed.

Well then that ban must also apply to tillers and snow throwers or the organizers are brainless. Many shows do not allow the riding of any tractor or four wheeler around the show grounds, too many ignorant people driving them running over people. it only takes a few to ruin it it for all. But whether or not the shows allow you to drive around on your mower with a deck really doesn't pertain to what I was talking about, that issue a matter of safety and liability for the show promoters as it is with four wheelers and golf carts.

• Like 1

ericj

i leave my mower decks at home most of the time, that's what helps separates wheel horses from the craptsman lawn tractors. I leave them home for ease of transportation when you are taking 8 or more to the show. the older decks fit under neath the tractors width better then a 42" sd or 48" sd deck, and it helps keep the weight down on the trailer load, less chances of damage to said decks. if i buy a tractor to keep some times i'll sell the deck to help recover some cost on the purchase.

eric j

can whlvr

around my area its very hard to sell a tractor for anykind of money without a deck,as most people want to mow their grass with the tractor,as this is the most common task for a garden tractor,many people don't do anything other than mow and pull a cart

• Like 4

tractorhogg
1 hour ago, can whlvr said:

around my area its very hard to sell a tractor for anykind of money without a deck,as most people want to mow their grass with the tractor,as this is the most common task for a garden tractor,many people don't do anything other than mow and pull a cart

Sensible people up your way.

• Like 2

Amcwheel85

Yea most decks I get, get sold as I push mow my yard.. And unless my yard ever gets bigger then an acre I will always push mow my yard. My tractors are for pulling carts(which I do a lot) and plowing snow. Some tractors are just for cruising(relaxing)

Edited by Amcwheel85

RedRider

You rarely see a Wheel Horse without some mounted implement in old ads and dealership literature, so I restored a 32" rear discharge deck to go along with my tractor. It was actually more work to restore than I anticipated, due largely to the amount of rust repair that had to be performed. It actually took me parts and pieces from three different mower decks I had laying around just to make one nice complete deck. Since my young daughter is usually with me at shows and likes to be around the tractors, I made the decision to not install any blades to help remove any unnecessary risk. I still have the blades stored away and everything on the deck is operational if I would ever have the urge to test the mower deck out and put it to use.

Mower Deck.jpg

Tractor.jpg

• Like 2

tractorhogg

Very, very nice Red Rider

• Like 1

Horse46

If I didn't have a big ish garden to mow I wouldn't own a Horse, the deck and the tractor go hand in hand for me.IMG_5485.thumb.jpg.ad40180a479742be2ae66 

• Like 2

Digger 66

I'm proud of mine :D

Deckbefore_zps14706441.jpg

Bottomafter_zps63cd2387.jpg

Topafter_zpsc7fd81f1.jpg

• Like 3

larpa47

I can't load my tractor onto my trailer with the deck underneath because of the angle.  I didn't have a deck for mine when I went to the show last year.  Couldn't find one.  Then I found a 36" RD by accident 5 miles from home and restored it.  I mowed with it the last half of the season last year. If I go to the show this year I probably won't take it because I don't really want to install it there.  Too much of a pain at 69 years old!!!

Deck as I Got It.jpg

Deck as it is Now.jpg

New Old Deck 4.jpg

• Like 2