lodestonefarm

Front-mount mowing bracket on 520 with 60" deck

lodestonefarm

Would a front mower carrier handle a 60" deck on the front of a 520H?  If so, is the deck height adjustment done manually while not on the tractor, or can it still be 'lifted' hydraulically while riding around (to clear small obstacles like roots, or simply for transport over rough areas of the yard)?  

Thanks

doc724

Try The Big Bearing Store or MSC Direct.  Both on line.  I have bought from both.  Search under "roller chain"

Lane Ranger

The front mower carrier made by wheel horse was only for  42 and 48  mower decks.    I think 36 will fit but not 60 inch decks.

Ed Kennell

I'm not familiar with the lift capabilities of the front mounted carriers, but it would take some heavy duty hardware to lift a 350 lb deck that is cantilevered so far in front of the tractor.

• Like 2

lodestonefarm

@LaneRanger-

Thanks for responding.  Too bad.  I only have the 60" deck and it's a bugger to move around as well as put on/off.  I thought this might be a good way to make attaching/detaching easier.  I also like the idea of the mower out front where it can reach under things.  I wonder what folks who have the front carrier think about them.  

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Check the Front Mower Carrier Manual on this site for specific information.

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

MalMac

Drive up and over to mount and dismount. Yes they are a bear to move around. I had one and sold it just because of the having to deal with it when not on the tractor. I will say this though, it did a nice job of mowing. One other thing I did notice was it was very hard on the tractor. Caused more wear and tear then other decks. I could always look at a 520 and tell if it was used with a 60" deck on it. From what I have seen of the front mower carriers a 60 is just not feasible to put on there. 

• Like 2

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, MalMac said:

Drive up and over to mount and dismount. Yes they are a bear to move around. I had one and sold it just because of the having to deal with it when not on the tractor. I will say this though, it did a nice job of mowing. One other thing I did notice was it was very hard on the tractor. Caused more wear and tear then other decks. I could always look at a 520 and tell if it was used with a 60" deck on it. From what I have seen of the front mower carriers a 60 is just not feasible to put on there. 

Got to know.  What extra wear do you see?

can whlvr

the 60 is known to crack the frame of the tractor,its hard on the pivot points of the deck lift arm also,and hard on the actual lift,manual or hydro

• Like 1

MalMac

Not much more to add that can whlvr has not said. Mid hitches are almost always wore bad. Yes they are famous for cracking the frames where the foot rest bar goes through. It's a battleship of deck that's made real well. It's just been my experience that it's just a little to heavy for the tractor.

lodestonefarm
6 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

Check the Front Mower Carrier Manual on this site for specific information.

Thanks for the link.  It's pretty clear from that document that this isn't designed for the 60" deck.  What I can't tell from it is if the smaller decks (42" and 48") can be raised or lowered while mounted on the front carrier.  I understand that the 60" deck is heavy, but it wouldn't actually be cantilevered out front would it?  Isn't the weight of the deck suspended between the front guide wheels of the carrier and the frame of the tractor.  Maybe I misunderstand how this carrier is supposed to work.  

When hunting around for comments and images about it I came across this old add.  In the description it says it had been modified to accept a 60" deck.  In seems to me that moving the 60" deck out front might reduce the stress on the tractor itself.  I think if I could modify the carrier to handle the 60" deck and I could set the height before beginning my mowing, that might be good enough.  I'd might give up the ability to raise the deck while mowing to simplify the connecting/disconnecting issues.  

I do drive over the deck when mounting/unmounting but still find I have to shimmy the deck left/right to get the brackets and lift pin lined up.  

WNYPCRepair
5 hours ago, MalMac said:

Drive up and over to mount and dismount.

That is what I do. Block the wheels in both directions, put some short boards up as ramps, drive across it and hook it up

shallowwatersailor
On 2/12/2016 at 7:18 PM, can whlvr said:

the 60 is known to crack the frame of the tractor,its hard on the pivot points of the deck lift arm also,and hard on the actual lift,manual or hydro

The 5xi is actually a better platform for the 60" deck. The mount is sturdier and wider to handle the additional weight.

• Like 2

cleat

The other thing I did was to add a later style rockshaft with the extra arm that the trunnion passes through and gets supported on both sides.

This is much stronger than the usual way.

This is a sample picture as I don't have pictures of mine.

56bf98210ee4e_Rockshaft.thumb.JPG.49d91e

You can just make it out in this picture of my 520-HC.

56bf991fe4f82_AsofJan1720152.thumb.jpg.d

Edited by cleat
  • Like 1

DennisThornton
On 2/12/2016 at 7:40 PM, MalMac said:

Not much more to add that can whlvr has not said. Mid hitches are almost always wore bad. Yes they are famous for cracking the frames where the foot rest bar goes through. It's a battleship of deck that's made real well. It's just been my experience that it's just a little to heavy for the tractor.

I like many others tend to think that bigger is better so I've always wanted a 60" deck on something.  Starting to look like a it's not the best idea for a Classic WH, but the 60" for the XIs are scarce and pricey.

Tankman

Semi-retired, lots of time to mow. Horses love fresh cut grasses!

Been thinking of a smaller deck. I now only use my  48" SD decks but, recall the old days using RD decks and towing a sweeper. Wifey kept the lawns very nice while the

kids were in school.

If I remove the two outer blades on my decks, "Honest Honey, I'll paint the bedroom soon as I'm done mowin' the lawn."  :text-imsorry:

Edited by Tankman

DennisThornton
23 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Semi-retired, lots of time to mow. Horses love fresh cut grasses!

Been thinking of a smaller deck. I now only use my  48" SD decks but, recall the old days using RD decks and towing a sweeper. Wifey kept the lawns very nice while the

kids were in school.

If I remove the two outer blades on my decks, "Honest Honey, I'll paint the bedroom soon as I'm done mowin' the lawn."  :text-imsorry:

I'm quite fond of my 36" RD and sweeper!  Gives a very fine finish!  But there's other areas, trails and times when I just want to whack down as much as possible as quickly as possible!

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
36 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm quite fond of my 36" RD and sweeper!

My 310-8 had a 36" RD, and I liked that it just blew the grass out the back and didn't pile it up in rows off to the side. 

DennisThornton
13 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

My 310-8 had a 36" RD, and I liked that it just blew the grass out the back and didn't pile it up in rows off to the side. 

And you could trim up close with either side!  My favorite deck except it took quite a bit longer to mow.  

• Like 2

Tankman

Trimming on both sides was certainly a ++++. The Ms. did have a little problem backing up to the clipping pile area.

Mt sons took over the tractor chores as soon as they could convince me, "I can mow Dad."

The piic is probably 30-35 years ago. Oldest son at the wheel of one of our early Stallions.

Don't remember what model he's driving. Can you ID?

AJ-Horse.png

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1