engineguy63

5010 Tranny apart...needs cleaning and a new gear

engineguy63

Well here are some pics of my tranny tear down. The dif gear has a chipped tooth and a broken tooth. All the other gears look usable. Will be looking for a replacement gear...........hopefully someone is sitting on one. Just curious.is this gear cast iron or cast steel......a friend is a master with a tig torch, so wanted to weld it back up if it was steel..........but that would probably be my second choice.

tranny teardown 001.JPG

tranny teardown 002.JPG

Racinbob

You should be able to find that one. Make sure you check the 3rd/2nd (3523) internal teeth and the input shaft gear it meshes to. A weak point on these transmissions. There are many other things to check but rather than go through them check out this thread:

It's great. Steve also has several videos on his YouTube channel and the links to them are in the reference section here.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

I googled "How can I tell cast iron from cast steel" and I have been watching a few videos today.  One way is what is called a "spark test" the other way is "the drill test".  Understand that I do not know what I am talking about...that said...I want to go with malleable cast iron.  :)  I did both on one of the castings that I have.  Drilling a hole produced a graphite like powder only...no shavings.  The spark test is a little tougher to figure out, but whitish in color, sparks showing some carbon streaming and a good amount of sparks, but not as much as from the other 2 kinds of cast iron.  Chucky2009 does a nice job explaining if you want to check it out.  The first link does the spark tests...this is really informative.  The 2nd link, he does show a drill test a few minutes into the video.

• Like 2

engineguy63

Hi Steve, Thanks.............I have seen these videos...or ones  VERY similar before. I have welded up cast iron before with a a/c stick welder, you just have to go Super slow keep it  HOT  and use a good nickel rod. I am NOT a welder and the fact that it worked is probably more luck than anything else. If it is Ductile cast MAYBE a tooth can be built up with a tig. I guess I can clean everything up and have my friend give it a try, but cast iron absorbs the oil and makes a mess of the weld. I guess I will probably do that........................meanwhile HOPE you or someone else comes up with a gear for me!!   THANKS MUCH!!!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It is definitely weldable, and nickel was his favorite rod.  This metal is a ton better then what is out there now.  I had a bolt nubbie welding a few years ago and the weld looked real good and held.  :)  I'm pretty sure we will have a housing for you...Lane is stopping here in a few hours and we will know then.  :)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Erik, I mailed the differential yesterday morning...Thursday.  You should have it Saturday or Monday.  :)

• Like 1

engineguy63

Hi Steve, Check went out Tuesday........you should have it ...or.....real soon   thanks.....I will let you know how I make out!!

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Engineguy63:   Let us know what kind of progress you are having when you get a chance to update on this 5010 Transmission!

stevasaurus

Just wanted to show what happened to the casting that Eric got.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  This is copied from the PM we had going...and the pictures following.  Thanks Eric.  :)  And they did manage to close up the crack.

There thoughts were , as this part is over 50 years old and it may have sat in an oil bath for a while , the cast may have absorbed some oil. Then welding would be iffy at best and it would not help the fact that since it was cracked the bore was expanded. The thought was turn it down clean and shrink a band on which may close the crack up a couple thou, or not, but either way it would not get worse! Anyhow its in the hands of a VERY capable machinist!!

•  

56d0799ae2bed_trannyteardown001.JPG.cd31

56d0799c56917_trannyteardown002.JPG.e4c3

56d0799df33c8_trannyteardown003.JPG.7871

• Like 3

Racinbob

Wow! That's better than new :)

• Like 1