furykid

Newbie with some 520 questions.

furykid

I feel better now....

IMG_1541.JPG

elcamino/wheelhorse

Can't see the picture

furykid

Let me know if it came through this time.

IMG_1540.JPG

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Ran it for an hour just to get the meter changed.

• Like 1

furykid

Was out having fun... It's the first I really got to run it.

• Like 1

WHX??
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:20 PM, cleat said:

I have done this to all 3 of my 520's and also the 416 with the Onan engine.

Should help.

56b78a9e36f5e_Ventedguard1.thumb.jpg.cda

Cleat

Wait now till you get to 1313 hours!!

How did you get those holes so evenly spaced Cleat?... Nice ...looks liker your machine are as clean as furykid's .

Also nice to see your name in RED furykid!

• Like 1

cleat

I drew it out on paper then center punched through the paper into the guard.

Then drilled 5/16 holes and punched using a greenlee punch normally used by electricians for electric panels.

Don't know if it helps but it can't hurt unless you stick your fingers through the holes.

Cleat

• Like 2

WHX??

I got ya cleat, I have a greenlee punch... I believe it makes a 7/8" hole which I though might be too big?? Does make nice clean holes tho. I need to do this to mine but was thinkin cut out the whole area then somehow attach hardware cloth to the back side. Better yet take it to someone who has a plasma table and have it cut  out like a :wh: then some cloth over it?!?!? Now that would be custom!

• Like 2

cleat

It would be ideal to have it louvered to match the top of the hood. 

Yea, my holes are quite big. Kind of negates it's function as a guard but really only the part back by your legs is the main hazard.

Here is a picture I found on the internet with the whole front half of the guard cut off (and the chrome exhaust cover on upside down).

1986_Wheel_Horse_520-H_garden_tractor-s.

Cleat

• Like 1

cheesegrader

WHX6,

The holes in my belt guard are 3/4.  I haven't had issues with breaks in the area around the holes so far. 

Haven't put any fingers or toes through the holes, either!

I think a punch would be faster, but I don't have one, so I went with a cheap step-cut drill bit from HFT

Masked the area with tape, drew it all out the way I liked, and used a center-punch to dimple the start point for the drill.IMG_0301.jpg.8879658f55c7950183ba38bfd86

• Like 2

WHX??

I was wondering how you did that too cheesy...they don't look like 3/4 from the pics ...I don't like the whole thing cut off cleat..just don't look right ...louvers are cool like the hood but gotta be $$ for some one to punch them.   I plan on workin this girl like a $2 ho in the heat of the summer so this might keep me from poppin valve seats. Wouldn't worry about the big holes....shouldn't be sticking your you know what in ther anyway....thanks for the pics..

Have you got the 60" deck fury?

• Like 2

furykid

These all sound good, except for sticking your finger in there. I was thinking of useing a small hole saw for that. I thought I had the throttle issue solved but when I had her out today the throttle was still drifting back to idle. Going to have to take it off and put it in the vice to see if it will tighten up.

27 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

I was wondering how you did that too cheesy...they don't look like 3/4 from the pics ...I don't like the whole thing cut off cleat..just don't look right ...louvers are cool like the hood but gotta be $$ for some one to punch them.   I plan on workin this girl like a $2 ho in the heat of the summer so this might keep me from poppin valve seats. Wouldn't worry about the big holes....shouldn't be sticking your you know what in ther anyway....thanks for the pics..

Have you got the 60" deck fury?

It's a 48" deck.

WHX??

Oh would have been nice to have had the 60....welcome to the wonderful world of creeping throttles... been many a curse on all horses. ..try pinching the rivet that holds it together at the dash.... others will chime in on this quite common problem. 

• Like 1

cleat

Yes, tighten the rivet but don't get too carried away. One of mine is now too tight and hard to move.

60" deck is great, mows well, no scalping. It is very heavy and awkward when off of the tractor.

I use the front end loader on my bigger tractor to move it.

Cleat

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
11 hours ago, furykid said:

These all sound good, except for sticking your finger in there. I was thinking of useing a small hole saw for that. I thought I had the throttle issue solved but when I had her out today the throttle was still drifting back to idle. Going to have to take it off and put it in the vice to see if it will tighten up.

It's a 48" deck.

I think the step bits would do a much nicer job than a hole saw.

• Like 1

lynnmor
12 hours ago, furykid said:

I thought I had the throttle issue solved but when I had her out today the throttle was still drifting back to idle. Going to have to take it off and put it in the vice to see if it will tighten up.

I put a small alloy screw with a locking nut thru the rivet and tighten it till I have the right amount of drag.  You can't use a soft, cheap screw for this.

• Like 1

roadapples
4 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I put a small alloy screw with a locking nut thru the rivet and tighten it till I have the right amount of drag.  You can't use a soft, cheap screw for this.

Like to see a picture of that if you got time...thanks

• Like 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, roadapples said:

Like to see a picture of that if you got time...thanks

I believe that some new replacement throttles have solid rivets, so if you have one of those some drilling may be required.  Here is a photo of a screw thru a hollow rivet:

P2090067.JPG

• Like 3

roadapples

Simple enough, thanks..

WHX??

I had one that was solid, drilled it out and used a bolt like that with some wave washers for some tension...:happy-wavemulticolor:

• Like 2

WHX??

Bad news is a month after I fixed it an end broke off and it was too short to be usefu l....guess I shouldn't  "horse" the throttle that much! 

• Like 1

furykid

WHX6, I thought that was the way that you worked the throttle!!!!! Ha Ha.....