vinnyfish1

Liquid filled tires pros and cons

vinnyfish1

So I understand why people fill tires with antifreeze , but would like some feedback on the pros and cons of living with liquid filled tires over time .

leeave96

I use to fill my rear tires with liquid and it works great - but I used inner tubes and over time got thorns and flats.  Pain in the buttox to fix. Further, liquid filled tires were heavy to mount.  Lastly, I felt it made my tires soft - maybe it didn't but that was my preceptition.  Changed to tubeless tires and bolt on weights.  Easier to mount and handle when doing so, tubeless tires - easy to fix a flat with a plug or even with tube as the tire/wheel without the weights bolted on are easier for me to handle.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 2

clip

Easier maintenance with bolt on weights, but with fluid I don'the have an extra few inches of weight and hardware hanging off each side of the tractor to catch fences and trees when mowing.

• Like 1

vinnyfish1

Thanks Leeave96..  your response is kind of what I expected . I have a couple sets of 50 pound weights , and they work fine

vinnyfish1

Thanks clip... Got the weights so I think I will stick them ...This forum is a wealth of knowledge...best one I have ever seen

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I have 1 snow pusher with weights and 1 with fluid in the tires...Both with tire chains.

The cast weights are mounted inside the rim, so I don't have to worry with catching the weights or bolts, and I haven't had any leaks with the fluid.

Both work very well for my needs, and I have to agree with both comments above.

Everything has it's good points and bad....Sometimes you won't realize what the good and bad points really are until you experience it.

clip

I love the liquid ballast in my Cub Cadet with tubeless 20x10-8s, but when I got new tires on the WH I went with 23x8.5 ags and tubes in all four tires for an extra measure of protection. Also used those with bolt-on weights. Now that I'm moving to an area with flatter land I'm thinking of switching back to the turfs, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with liquid when changing.

• Like 1

Tankman

If I needed more weight I would fill the tires. Windshield washer fluid perhaps.

I do hesitate thinking, "Leak equals rust." I would definitely use inner tubes if using liquid.

• Like 1

clip

Some of the RV antifreezes, washer fluids, and especially RimGuard have anti-rust additives added. I'm relying on a good coating on the inside of the wheels (paint) and the fact that they would have to rust a lot before any problems arise. More than likely the tractor will experience a severe problem before a wheel rusts through. If it does develop a through-wall leak its carbon steel and easily repaired by welding or wire brushing, painting and installing a tube. 

This is was my argument with myself when I took the easy way out and breaking one bead, then pouring fluid directly in to the tire vs spending money on a tube, fill valve and pump :)

cheesegrader

If you are looking for a LOT of weight, then filled tires are the way to go.

I have not had rust issues.

I got mine filled at a rimguard dealer, so I didn't have to buy a fill valve, and cost per pound is way less than steel weights.
I haven't had any leaks (on ags), and I didn't notice any difference in tire firmness.

On the bad side, they are harder to get on and off, and

you can't just unbolt the weights when you are ready to spend the summer on the lawn.

• Like 1

cleat

My 520's are all liquid filled. Tires really aren't  that hard to move around.

Installing studs on the wheel hubs will save a lot of grief when mounting wheels.

I would think they may actually be easier than wheel weights because you don't need to mess with the weights. Just bolt them on and go.

I like the added traction in the summer when mowing ditches, tilling, or moving trailers around.

Cleat

• Like 3

WH4FUN

You can also use beet juice. I found a tire dealer several years back and had 3 sets filled. The product is said to be non corrosive but I used tubes and 6 ply tires. One set is on a 520 with a loader. I also have the newer cast weights that are flush and only use the weight box once in a while. Most of my tractors have one stud on each hub and this makes it easy to install the weighted tire.Have not had one problem since I did this 6 or 7 years ago. If I had the money I would do foam for the loader tires. 

squonk

The liquid ballast will help " push" your tractor when plow snow. As the tire is turning it builds up momentum  with the fluid spinning around. as you hit a snow bank that fluid give the tractor an extra shot going forward.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I don't think of "Liquid filled" vs weights but rather both as a way to get more traction.  Having one certainly doesn't preclude the other, in fact I intend for my blower to have both and perhaps my snowplow as well.  The fluid neither sticks out nor has to be removed separately and can't be seen.  Cheaper and pretty easy to do.  Guess I'm struggling to find any downsides, if you either use non rusting fluid or tubes.  I chose tubes and CaCl for the most weight.  Next might be just windshield washer.  I've got more wheels if there is ever an issue...

• Like 1

russellmc301

well i have never done it but i think some dry sand would be good since it wouldn't rust it unless you got like high ph sand. 

DennisThornton
26 minutes ago, russellmc301 said:

well i have never done it but i think some dry sand would be good since it wouldn't rust it unless you got like high ph sand. 

In the tire?  How?

russellmc301

take the value steam out then get a funnel and some beach sand or finer sand and pour it in.

you shake it around to level it out and get it filled all the way up. 

WHX??

Let us know how that works out for you Russ.....:confusion-questionmarks:

I personally prefer the beet juice that way if I have a leak it will help melt the driveway .....big leak I can add it to my V-8...with some celery salt...tobasco...vodka... and have a :wh:cocktail!!

• Like 2

clip

Dry sand would probably be one of the poorer choices. It'd act to sandblast the metal rim and wear on the rubber tire; if it got in the valve stem it'd chew up the seal; it'd prevent you from getting a good bead seal when trying to air the tire up.

I'd thought about adding large lead shot and then filling with water all the same to dampen it, but prefer the simplicity of plain liquid ballast. Ideally you'd use the material with the highest density you could find. By this logic, if I added 5 gallons of liquid mercury to each tire I'd be doing great until I had a leak!

DennisThornton
14 hours ago, russellmc301 said:

take the value steam out then get a funnel and some beach sand or finer sand and pour it in.

you shake it around to level it out and get it filled all the way up. 

I suppose.  And I suppose dry sand would fall away or brush away well enough to seat the bead again.  I might go mad before I got enough sand through that little funnel hole!  I'd have some concerns about clumping and I'd think eventually it would wear out the rims.  Maybe I'd be dead by then, but..

I do like the mercury idea!  AS LONG AS IT JUST STAYS AN IDEA!  B)

ericj

i can see the news paper head line now large mercury spill from garden tractor tires now a super fund site lol

eric j 

DennisThornton
49 minutes ago, ericj said:

i can see the news paper head line now large mercury spill from garden tractor tires now a super fund site lol

eric j 

When I was a kid I collected it, played with it, rolled it back and forth in my palm, coated pennies with it.  About the same thing with asbestos but into my 30s!  Used asbestos gloves, heat shield paste for welding, siding for welding protection!  Who knows what I'm going to die from!  Probably from falling off a Wheel Horse!  Not a bad way to go!  One of the things I like best!  B)

Edited by DennisThornton
spelling
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

:angry-nono: Don't tempt fate Dennis.:teasing-poke:

Sounds like you've been lucky...so far.  

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:angry-nono: Don't tempt fate Dennis.:teasing-poke:

Sounds like you've been lucky...so far.  

More than once!

• Like 1

d -bunked

go 2 junkyard buy a used fuel pump hook 2 car battery and fill up tires with washer fluid winter blend real fast and simple 2 do