danno676

New To Me 520 h

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Cleat, I know you like to fiddle and fabricate items with great success. You might want to look at the 5xi (except the 518xi) parts and electrical diagrams. They are equipped with cruise control. There might be something that would work.

For me, the cruise isn't needed as I have to dodge a number of trees while mowing. Maybe it will be handy for the next house where I can use the 60" deck. :)

I trust one of your 5XXxis has "Smart Steer"?  Several dislike it (Wheel Horse even offered a disabling kit!) but I like it.  I've tried to roll mine and so far I can't.  Flat out as fast as I can go in cruise and a hard turn just slows down and turns.  Straighten out and off she goes again!  All I touch is the steering wheel!  Now it is different than if I were to do it all myself since I know the tree is coming up, but it does work.

• Like 1

WHX??

as I have to dodge a number of trees while mowing

Here also John hence the much forward/backward motion ...not to mention inclines and  uneven turf!

where I can use the 60" deck

thumbs on the 60"

shallowwatersailor
6 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I trust one of your 5XXxis has "Smart Steer"?  Several dislike it (Wheel Horse even offered a disabling kit!) but I like it.  I've tried to roll mine and so far I can't.  Flat out as fast as I can go in cruise and a hard turn just slows down and turns.  Straighten out and off she goes again!  All I touch is the steering wheel!  Now it is different than if I were to do it all myself since I know the tree is coming up, but it does work.

All three still have the "Smart Steer" as the 5xi is capable of speed in High Range that could flip it at full throttle. The only time I dislike it is Low Range in reverse while turning. But when I have the Cyclone rake attached, I do like the level of extra control it adds with using that attachment.

• Like 1

mattd860
On 1/14/2016 at 7:38 PM, cheesegrader said:

Matt's hydro pedal is a great addition.  It is set up to be installed with the hand control lever disabled/removed.  

I THINK it could be modified to keep the hand lever operational, but it would take some fabricating skills, and I just don't think it would be worth it.

I have two 520's with the foot pedal.  I removed the hand control levers on both, and have never missed them.

For jerky hand control issues, look at the control plate on top of the hydro.

Make sure the pivot point is lubricated--there is supposed to be a felt washer to hold oil, but it seems to be missing on some units.

Also make sure it is adjusted to give similar speeds both forward and reverse.  I had one that was adjusted with almost no reverse speed, and it jerked horribly until I put it back to a more balanced position.

Hi All - You can definitely keep the lever installed with my pedal kit. In fact, it will make the kit easier to install because some of those levers are very difficult to remove. The only function that is lost when keeping the lever installed is that the lever will no longer stay in place. If you push or pull on the lever and then take your hand off of it, the lever will spring back into neutral (stop) just like the pedal will. Essentially, the pedal and the lever will be linked together. I personally opted to leave the lever installed on my 520-h but I left it disconnected. On some machines, leaving the lever installed may prevent the pedal from springing back to neutral if the lever or mechanics are stiff, dirty, or rusted. I believe that once you start using the pedal you will never want to use the lever again.

Cruise control would be a nice feature but pushing on the pedal is practically effortless. I mow a 2.5 acre lawn with zero fatigue on my leg or foot. I'm a small guy (5'-11") with chicken legs that weighs 150lbs soaking wet after thanksgiving dinner so if pushing the pedal is easy for me then it's easy for just about anyone :). A lot of times I forget that my foot is even holding the pedal steady so I don't believe cruise control is all that necessary unless you're mowing 10+ acres but if you are - you shouldn't be using a wheel horse.

Edited by mattd860
  • Like 1

cleat

That is why I have not put much effort into a cruise, the foot control works so well and so easy.

Cleat

danno676

I don't get on here too often but a quick update, I finally replaced the rear tires on my 520. I went with the 24x12x12's. They float great on soft soil and work just fine with the 48" deck. Thanks Martin for the help and advice!! I will soon do the fronts and eventually get to restoring it. Sorry it is absolutely filthy in the pictures....

IMG_20160224_095543189.jpg

IMG_20160224_095614319.jpg

70wheelhorseGT-14
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:43 PM, danno676 said:

Thanks for all the info guys. I only just saw the pedal but didn't exactly know it's function. For some reason, at a quick glance, I thought to was a throttle pedal. Stupid me..... My 520 has an absolutely fluid hydro lever. My 416 was very jerky but with some adjustments and lubrication it works very good now, it only took me 2 years to do. Now the pedal makes more sense and I want to do it even more.

Hey Danno676

I recently purchased a 520 and have it running but I need help figuring out how to run a cable from the lift arm over the trans and hydro pump to the back to the hitch. Is there any way you could send me pictures and walk me through how you set yours up?

Thanks

Chris