Sign in to follow this  
fritz

which deck

fritz

hey every one i am 15 and i mowed some peoples yard this summer. i was using my freinds b100 with a 42 inch side discharge deck. then i did some horse trading and i got a raider 8 with a 36 inch rear discharge deck. i liked the rear discharge better. but which one do you all think is the bestt? i am hoping to do that all next summer to. and i want my work to be the best it can. i am currently trying to purchase a 42 inch rear discgargfe deck. but i dont know if rear or side is better. so before i buy it pelase give me your thoughts and opinions. thank you

devin

MaineDad

Hi Devin,

Welcome to RedSquare. I personally like the rear discharge deck over the side discharge. Reason being, is that you can edge with each side that can save time. The RD decks also do not create such a large dust storm that the side ones do eliminating the need to shut the house windows while mowing.

My personal preference. Good luck!

Sparky

I have 2 rear discharge decks, a 36" and 42". The 36 does a much better job of spreading the clippings out evenly behind you whereas my 42 seemed to leave little rows of clippings.

Mike.........

Sparky

Almost forgot Devin...... :hide: !

Mike...........

Nick

I'll put in another vote for the rear discharge decks. They have some drawbacks but living in town I also liked the ability to trim on both sides plus I think they are less likely to throw something through the neighbors window. :hide: If you keep the grass mowed I think the rear discharge decks have a nice cut quality.

stevebo

rear discharge decks are quiet vs side discharge. :hide:

Curmudgeon

As stated above, I prefer rear discharge because of their versatility of direction. All I've used is a 42" deck, and it did have a tendency to leave windrows. Small price to pay, even given the clipping covered back. No matter which way the wind is blowing, somewhere in the yard it'll be behind you.

However, the side discharge is very handy for "raking leaves". :banana:

One last comment, :hide: :D

fritz

thank you all. i will probly save up for the 42 inch rear discharge deck then. the guy onlu wants 150 is that a good price?? it aint rusty and dont have many holes. my 36 inch is in really really good shape. but it takes way to long :hide:

Nick

$150 for the deck doesnt sound like a bad price. But it might not save so much time on your Raider. Either way you might be better off to use what you have and if things work out you could trade up later. If needed you might even find a larger tractor.

rwilson

150 dont sound bad. i dont know how much time savings come from 6 extra inches. but it will cut some time off. i'm running a 46 inch side discharge deck on my C-120. its 12hp and it does a good job. even up a hill it does ok. and i also dont mow my lawn as much as i should so it should do you good. good luck with your mowing!!