cleat

Making a front hitch from an old mule drive

cleat

I had this old mule drive just sitting around and decided to cut it up and make a front hitch out of it.

So far it is just tacked together to take home and check for fitment before welding it up and adding the actual receiver tube.

568ed2e028878_Fronthitchreadyforwelding1568ed2e13b237_Fronthitchreadyforwelding2568ed2e248577_Fronthitchreadyforwelding3568ed2e35f70a_Fronthitchreadyforwelding4568ed2e4709c7_Fronthitchreadyforwelding5568ed2e57dc21_Fronthitchreadyforwelding6568ed2e6aa0d0_Fronthitchreadyforwelding7568ed2e79f2f6_Hitchtackedtogether1.thumb568ed2e8a6cb9_Hitchtackedtogether2.thumb568ed2e9c4093_Hitchtackedtogether3.thumb568ed2de1e997_Hitchtackedtogether4.thumb

Wheel horse front Tach-A-Matic measurements.pdf

Wheel Horse measurements for front hitch.pdf

Wheel horse parts list for front hitch.pdf

I will keep you posted as work progresses.

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 8

WNYPCRepair

Before you finish that, hold it up to your trailer ball and see what happens when you turn. 

My first one was square and on the first use, I figured out that I could only turn about 45 degrees before the tongue of the trailer hit. I actually slightly bent the tongue. I added a receiver tube that stuck out 3 inches or so past the square part, now I can turn over 90 degrees

Sorry if you already checked it, it didn't even occur to me that it would hit.

Edit: After I posted, I re-read and saw you plan to use a receiver tube also.  I'll go back to my corner and shut up now. :)

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 3

cleat

Thanks for the info. I plan on using the same receiver that I use to move the trailer with my truck so it should be OK but I will check to make sure.

Sorry, I forgot the page with the receiver tube measurements.

I am not exactly sure yet where to weld it to the old mule drive. Near the top, bottom, or centered.

Receiver tube measurements.pdf

Cleat

Edited by cleat

WNYPCRepair

You have 5 inches on the receiver, and the hitch goes in that, so you should be good.

squonk

Old mule drives are handy. I don't have a pic yet but I bolted a 20 lb. weight to one and now I have a clip on frt weight for when I'm plowing the garden.

• Like 3

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Before you finish that, hold it up to your trailer ball and see what happens when you turn. 

My first one was square and on the first use, I figured out that I could only turn about 45 degrees before the tongue of the trailer hit. I actually slightly bent the tongue. I added a receiver tube that stuck out 3 inches or so past the square part, now I can turn over 90 degrees

Sorry if you already checked it, it didn't even occur to me that it would hit.

Edit: After I posted, I re-read and saw you plan to use a receiver tube also.  I'll go back to my corner and shut up now. :)

Chuckle!  Brian, you & me!  Buddies! :)

• Like 1

tbarnhart

You might want to be careful how far the actual ball will be from the tractor. The farther forward it is will increase the pressure on those bottom hooks as weight is added to the hitch. The tube that those hooks attach to isn't as strong as it looks. It's actually a pivoting tube for the latch with a small solid rod inside it. If you bend it, it's hard to get apart, because the rod needs to be able to slide straight out the end.

• Like 1

cleat

I have cut the receiver tube as short as possible, the hitch will just just go in far enough to get the pin in.

I know about the hollow tube and have the hooks out right to the edges to maximize strength.

My trailer is a 4 x 8 and I can easily lift the tongue with one hand. It also will not be heavily loaded when using this hitch.

Hitch is currently on a tractor and it fits perfectly. Next week it will get welded up and painted.

Cleat

• Like 1

tbarnhart

Cool! Looks like you have it figured.

cleat

Here are some pic of it trial fitted on tractor. It fits very well.

I have a front hitch on my Diesel tractor and it is handy for putting the trailer into the garage.

This one on the Wheel Horse should be handy as well.

568fd452e4c33_Fronthitchtrialfit3.thumb.568fd45a0fbf3_Fronthitchtrialfit1.thumb.568fd460ad932_Fronthitchtrialfit2.thumb.

Cleat

• Like 1

cleat

Hitch is now welded together, just needs cleanup and paint.

5695077b07d40_Fronthitchweldedup3.thumb.5695077e1eb5f_Fronthitchweldedup1.thumb.569507809f90c_Fronthitchweldedup2.thumb.

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 3

378Pete

I wish I had a tenth the fab skills you guys have. I think the most fab work I have ever done was joining two zip ties together to make on really long one! So jealous

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

cleat

Hitch is painted up and ready for use.

56995909b8403_Fronthitchpaintedandready35699590c3a451_Fronthitchpaintedandready15699590ec0339_Fronthitchpaintedandready2

569959e5ccf96_Fronthitchpaintedandready5

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 5

Ed Kennell

Nice....great recycling idea.  :thumbs:

Butch

Nice work and nice photos!

farmer
On 12/01/2016 at 3:46 PM, 69chargerv8 said:

I wish I had a tenth the fab skills you guys have. I think the most fab work I have ever done was joining two zip ties together to make on really long one! So jealous

Made me chuckle.:)

Edited by farmer
insert text

cleat

Here it is installed.

569cec1c0f99a_Fronthitchinstalled3.thumb569cec222cc2d_Fronthitchinstalled1.thumb569cec281ccd2_Fronthitchinstalled2.thumb

Cleat

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:handgestures-thumbupright:   Looks good Cleat.    Is that pin pulling lever on the plow stock, or is that another Cleat mod ?

cleat

That is a Cleat/ previous owner mod.

The previous owner of the blade cut off and lost all the factory blade release and angle handles.

569d0b0d87923_C-160Blade1.thumb.jpg.5b60569d0b12c3764_C-160Blade2.thumb.jpg.738a

This is his handle, it did not work very well. My handle works fine.

Some day I will return it to factory, all I need is some measurements of the attachment points and the handle etc.

It works as is but getting on and off the machine over and over does get old real quick.

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 2

98layinframe

Good idea and use for an old mule, kinda makes me wish I had one sitting around.

cleat

I was just browsing ebay a little while ago and there is a fellow selling front hitches that may be just about as easy to make as modifying an old mule drive.

Cleat

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

That plow looks like a candidate for an actuator to turn the blade.

• Like 1

can whlvr

real nice work and great idea,a guy coule use that to make a side to side support setup for the plow real easy:bow-blue:

JPWH

Good idea and you do nice work.

Hank

cleat
3 hours ago, can whlvr said:

real nice work and great idea,a guy coule use that to make a side to side support setup for the plow real easy:bow-blue:

My old Ford blade had a front guide to limit sway.

My current Wheel Horse blade does not have this and It could even be worse with the extension kit added to it. I plowed the drive yesterday and the blade seemed to stay in place very well, front wheel traction was more of an issue.

I will keep an eye on it however and if I notice excess sway I will make up a bracket to control it.

Thanks for the idea, Cleat