Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

Newbie w/two in the stable

Coadster32

Hello fellow red-suare members, newbie here. :hide: I have been checking this site out for a few months now, and am really impressed, and thought I'd share back with you. I currently am working on what I beleive are a couple of suburban 401's. The best one will use parts from both, and is coming along pretty well. The other will be mostly what's left over, however mostly complete exept for the hood being cut away a bit. I know you all like pics, and if I can get a little guidence, I'd like to put them in this message area. If I use the attachment section, will it resize the pic for me, or just say the file is too big? Perhaps I'll be better at the tractors then posting.

CasualObserver

For picture posting guidance, please refer to This Post. :hide: We all look forward to pictures. :D

worthless.gif

Butch

Welcome Coadster! I can't help you with your Horses cause I know nothing about them. I'm not computer savvy either. But I use www.Photobucket.com , which is free, to get my photos from. Photobucket will pluck the pics from your computer and then you can resize them to post here. You copy the link from your Photobucket pic and post it here. You also have some pretty good and knowledgeable Horse people in your part of the country and in your state.

Now I'll step aside and let the smart people post. :hide:

Butch

Dang! I thought I had the first reply! I guess I type slow.

pond195520032003

:hide: Coadster32

Teddy da Bear

They jumped all over this Butch.....lol

:D ....

And that avitar looks familiar.......

I have seen this guy before.......

In a galaxy.....far, far away......... :hide:

Coadster32

WOW! Thank's some red carpet welcome wagon. :D Anyhow, thanks for the post link on the photobucket thing. DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

DSCF0095.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

I hope these come thu. Anyhow, the yellow one will be the spare one, and the one that is apart, and half painted, will be the real guy. Both trannys work, and I will be bolting on a 4hp Techumseh that I have all the makings for electric start to go with it. I'm excited even about the cast clutch pedal. I got the decals from Mayhew's, thanks to red-square. However, the decals are more like old-newspaper yellow, instead of white. I like off-white on a tractor anyhow, but the seat covers I see are all white. The yellow one has a briggs on it, but that won't stay. I tend to like the black on the yellow tractor, front axle, hood frame, and steering collum. I might do the same, but I'm all open to ideas. I have some pretty big ears. :hide:

ol550

I'm no expert but aren't they 551's? :hide: Or do I need to go :D ?

pond195520032003

definitly 551's :D supposed to have a 5.5hp Lauson/Tecumseh engine :hide:

JimD

i got a little teary-eyed lookin at old yeller in the first couple of pics cause i thought you were gonna shoot him :hide: then i saw the beautiful paint job on the hood and the other parts and thought, now were talking. :D keep the pics comin as you progress. they are going to be nice.

Duff

Just wanted to join the gang in saying, :D !

You got some nice machines there to work on. Keep us posted!

Best wishes,

Duff :hide:

bell

:D NICE suburbans! :hide:

Coadster32

It sure sounds like you guys got that one nailed very fast. :hide: Who said you weren't gurus? I just gotta know for sure the tech stuff. The casted pedal puts it out of 1960 and into 1961. The two peice tranny, instead of the 3 pcs with the plates makes it a 551, because the 401's had the 3 piece still. The sterring wheel and sheet metal tell me it's not a 552. The drop down front axle tells me a suburban, and not an rj. The pull knobs also tell ne it's not a 1960, as they were levers. From what I can tell it should have a 5.5hp lawson on it with electric start. I am trying to remember all of this based on what I have read in these forums. :hide: If I am wrong, please correct me, as I want to get it right. Is there any other dead ringers in there, that I am missing? :D

sorekiwi

Hi Coadster.

:hide:

Nice looking couple of horses. I love the Suburbans.

As for the yellow one, I have an excellent idea. How about RED!

Michael Bullington

hey great looking tractor, :hide: ,,,The newspaper color

decals are the proper one to use. :D

jusjeepn

I heard Wheel horse painted some yellow! Is this one of the elusive ones?

HorseFixer

:hide: :D Yikes another yeller tractor! :banana:

kpinnc

You're right, most definately 551 models regardless of engine. The 551 was the only mid-engined Suburban with a two piece Unidrive tranny.

None of the 1962 models had the mid-engine design. They were all the traditional front-mount design.

And that is some AWESOME paint!

Keep those pics coming!

Kevin

stevasaurus

:hide: I am also new to the forum...nice pics and paint...you picked it up alot quicker then I did...I am still perfecting my expertise in basic computerisum :hide: ...nice tractor and the red looks great :D

CasualObserver

It sure sounds like you guys got that one nailed very fast. :hide: Who said you weren't gurus? I just gotta know for sure the tech stuff. The casted pedal puts it out of 1960 and into 1961. The two peice tranny, instead of the 3 pcs with the plates makes it a 551, because the 401's had the 3 piece still. The sterring wheel and sheet metal tell me it's not a 552. The drop down front axle tells me a suburban, and not an rj. The pull knobs also tell ne it's not a 1960, as they were levers. From what I can tell it should have a 5.5hp lawson on it with electric start. I am trying to remember all of this based on what I have read in these forums. :hide: If I am wrong, please correct me, as I want to get it right. Is there any other dead ringers in there, that I am missing? :D

Looks like you've got most of it....one more thing on it makes it a 551... battery box built into the hoodstand. The 550 had the battery under the seat.

stevinator

Very nice and welcome :hide:

Coadster32

FYI on the yellow paint--- I scratched some of it away, and it was not red underneath. :hide: Those examples sure a are dead givaways, thanks. :D

tasmi01

:hide: You'll find lots of usefull info on here glad you could join all of us. and keep the pics comming love to see progress in the making.