73C160-Jack

Hydro transmission rebuild service?

73C160-Jack

Hi Gentlemen,

I live in Chicago and I look at my sad 73' C160 everyday. She is a beautiful tractor with hardly any wear. I need a recommendation in the Chicago / Illinois / Indiana or Wisconsin area to fix my C160. I do not have the experience to do so. Please reply with your recommendations. Happy New year and Best regards.

edit:

Hi Dave, 
 I do have a hydro lift. Here is a picture of the name plate and the item I found a "C" clip broken in. I replaced it but I have issues. It she a 73? I could be wrong. 

Sent from my iPhone

Thank you,

Edited by 73C160-Jack

daveoman1966

What is the model number of your tractor.  The C-160 designation didn't start until 1974.  The 1973 model year (the no-name year) was known simple as "16 hp Auto".

I am asking because it appears the Sundstrand power units changed in 1974 as you can see by this reference list:

Does your tractor have the hyd lift option? 

I am in n/w PA and I have a re-built Sundstrand unit 90-1140 on my workbench, ready to install in your tractor.   I overhauled it last summer and you would only need to buy a new filter for it...and oil or ATF...of course. 

Interested?   contact me directly at this email address:  (just clik the link)

daveoman@windstream.net

model year name   engine engine spec hp trans   type
1-0440 1973 16 Hp  Automatic Kohler K341S-71113A 16 Sundstrand 10 90-2046
1-0480 1974 C-160 Automatic Kohler K341S-71113A 16 Sundstrand   90-1140

73C160-Jack
Hi Dave, 
 I do have a hydro lift. Here is a picture of the name plate and the item I found a "C" clip broken in. I replaced it but I have issues. It she a 73? I could be wrong. 

Sent from my iPhone

pfrederi

What makes you think the hydro has gone bad...Symptoms???.  You say the tractor is other wise in good shape.  Even being older sounds like it didn't have much use in which case the hydro may be Ok could be and adjustment issue.  Really need mpore info.

73C160-Jack

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. The C-160 stopped all lift and drive functions while rototilling. I had not signs of it failing and it just failed. After checking the pulley on the pump and I can confirm that a keyway did not break. I started taking apart my original pump. I found in the filter a broken C clip. I search the manual all possible locations of a C clip.  I had a C clip break off the seat in the third attached picture. While taking apart my pump I bought one from another guy from a C-120. I figured to install his on mine. "I think I should have used my original" Anyways. I reassembled it all and the tractor now will only lift slowly and not drop on the lift as well as I can go forward only on jack stands and very little reverse.   

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

IMG_3345.JPG

Edited by 73C160-Jack

daveoman1966

First....In your 2nd pic, it looks like the hyd motor shaft is free-floating....that's not right.  You should NOT be able to remove it just by taking off the little cir-clip.  There is a retaining clip down inside the cyl block assy and that is what holds the spring tension on the individual pistons.  If that clip is broken,there'd be little to no power. 

Secondly.... the motor housing MUST be oriented correctly..(.you should have marked it before taking it apart).  It can be mounted 180 deg out of phase.  Note the orientation in my pics. 

1 (23).JPG

1 (26).JPG

1 (33).JPG

1 (36).JPG

1 (38).JPG

1 (146).JPG

1 (152).JPG

1 (293).JPG

It occurs to m, too, that the cylinder block SPRING may have broken...maybe.  There is a SPIRAL RING  retaining clip that holds the spring inside the cylinder block, with a thin washer between the clip and spring.  My pics aren't too good, but you can see some of it.

1 (43).JPG

• Like 4